1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

netgear wireless router help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spursfanatic, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spursfanatic

spursfanatic Thread Starter

hiya, i'm pretty new to this so please bear with me.

i've just bought my son a wireless n 300 router and usb adapter kit (made by netgear) model wnb2100 on the box or wnr2000 on the router.

i've followed the instructions that come supplied and have the following connections:

1. cable from internet socket of router to internet socket on modem.
    2. cable from pc to ethernet socket 1 on router.

i get so far thru install wizard and then error pops up telling me no router detected.

help, been at this for 3 days and am really starting to lose it.

if you need any more info (bout what i'm doing wrong) just contact me.

ta in advance

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Did the cable from the router uplink port to the MODEM come with the router? If the MODEM is by any chance supplied by Virgin, do you still have the blue cable that came with it? If so, try that one.

Can you also please go Start to Run (WinKey +R if Vista or Windows 7) and into the Open box type cmd /k /ipconfig (including the spaces) and hit Enter. Right click anywhere in the black form that follows and choose SelectAll. Pressing Enter places all that text into the Clipboard, transfer it to the computer you're posting from and paste it back here. Some details of that MODEM would be useful too.

3. spursfanatic

right, here goes,

am using virgin media as my isp. have used the lead supplied with the router from my pc to modem and connects fine.
    the modem i have is an old black ntl: cable modem. i have 10meg bb.

when i have the router, modem and pc hooked up i got the following info:

ip address 213.104.225.228
    subnet mask 255.255.252.0
    default gateway 213.104.224.1

4. spursfanatic

also when i click on netgear smart wizard icon on desktop, it opos up briefly for a sec then disappears.

5. vsn0912

vsn0912

Hello spursfanatic,

1st you dont need to install the CD which came with the Router to install it. Try this instead.
    a. turn off everything (the modem, the router and the PC's)
    b. now connect the ethernet cable that comes from the modem to the internet/WAN port of the router. then connect the LAN1 port to the PC hardwired (we will try the wireless later)
    c. now turn on the modem and wait for the lights on the virgin modem to be solid and stable. Next power up the router and wait for the lights to be solid and stable / after 1 min you can turn on the PC. (The VM connection doesnt need any perticular setting on the router to get connected)
    d. Now check if you are able to go online. If no: then check if you are getting an IP address in command prompt. if you are getting an IP in ethernet adapter local area connections then take a note of the default gateway and type it in the IE address bar to open the router setup page. It might ask you for a username and password.
    Username = admin
    Password = password

6. spursfanatic

will let you know how that goes in a bit as just got my anti virus scan started.
    ta for all the help tho

7. spursfanatic

cheers, just done wot u suggested and its the first time i've been able to go online with my router and modem all hooked up as per suggestion.

can you please advise how to set up router online

8. spursfanatic

Ok, so i'm at the netgear router smart wizard set up page. and under basic settings it asks domain name and ip address (both have if required). i don't have any passwords for internet etc so would i leave blank?

9. vsn0912

vsn0912

Great. good to know about that. Now we need to find a tab which says wireless security / settings. You are required to sequire the wireless connection so that no one can access it. Make sure that you note down the WEP / WPA key. (depending on what you select) . on what Operating system is your son's PC running?

10. spursfanatic

brilliant,

followed the instructions online and am now all sorted.

thanks a million for all your help and advice and for putting up with noobs like me.

this help was better than xmas

cheers

11. vsn0912

vsn0912

:) glad it helped.

Cheers n a very happy new year in advance.

12. spursfanatic

guess who's back?

1 teeny weeny last question.....

when my pc goes into stanby, i lose connection to my son's xbox via the router?

suggestions?

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Stop it going into Standby in Control Panel>Power Options.

14. vsn0912

vsn0912

Ok, the only reason that I can think about is that in the standby process the PC disconnects power to the NIC or the network card so in my opinion there's an option where you can uncheck this abhility of the standby mode. And I guess you wont experience the disconnection again. lemme know if this works.

cheers!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice