1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear WNDR3300 and Linksys WRT-160N

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HM9408, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HM9408

HM9408 Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to do the following networking setup:
    Phone line ---- Modem ---- Netgear WNDR3300 v1 ==== Linksys WRT-160N ==== Other computers

---- Meaning wired connection, ==== meaning wireless connection, ==== meaning wireless repeating connection.
    Long story short, I want to use my WRT-160N as an wireless access point/bridge/wireless repeater (I don't know what it could be named in this situation), using my Netgear router as the main wireless network and the Linksys as a secondary one, in order to expand the signal's strength throughout my house.
    I know I could just buy a stronger router, but I'm no longer using the Linksys, so I'd rather use it before completely getting rid of it.
    If any of you can come up with a solution, I would appreciate it a lot.
    Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Repeater or Range Extender are the two most common terms for what you want to do. If the router includes that feature, use it. If it doesn't there may be DD-WRT or Tomato firmware for it.

3. HM9408

HM9408 Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Is there any way of reinstalling the original FW back into the router?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I doubt it, but do not know.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I did this a couple of years ago with wireless routers that didn't have a special setting for repeater or range extender, but they used wired connections to the main router (which didn't have wireless). I don't know if that makes a difference, but I simply turned off DHCP, giving each 'access point' a fixed IP address which I reserved in the main router. I also turned off the firewall in the access points (but kept WiFi security on) since the main router had its own firewall. Both access points used the same SSID and it seemed to work just fine. Although I don't recall that I ever checked to see which access point I was actually using, but I could roam throughout the entire house without losing the connection.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice