1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear WPN824, network ok but no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MARC=G=, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MARC=G=

MARC=G= Thread Starter

Hi,

Usually i solve my own PC probs but this time i'm stumped and the girlfriend is doing my head in so i turn to you in dire need.

I have the Netgear WPN824 v2 Wireless Router connected to my Desktop PC via a ethernet cable and also connected to another Desktop PC via a wireless card. This setup has been running fine for a couple of months(since the refurbished router was bought) but when i woke up yesterday morning i could not access the internet.

Nothing had been touched by anyone since we turned off our PC's the night before,The PC's can still communicate with each other on the network ok but neither of us can access the internet through the router. According to the router it is still receiving from the internet, all the lights on the front are as normal and the routerlogin setup still says exactly the same as it did before.

Luckily i can plug my ethernet cable straight into the modem to access the internet but my girlfriend is not impressed and is busting my nuts till i get it sorted.

I've already scanned the forums and followed the Netgear website instructions i.e. do the hard reset, but it didn't solve it.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG;
    Let me see if I can get you started.
    Think more info will be needed to start working on your issue.
    Attached are some of the things the techs here would find useful to know about your environment.Some of these you have already done.

The “Johnwill” need to know about your environment questionnaire:

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
    Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection?
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make and model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? Have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way? Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL
    It would also be useful to see an ipconfig /all from the working internet connection also.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice