1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear WPN824 V2 - New Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jdavis37, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Thread Starter

Basic background - using above router to connect both Wireless devices as well as 1 desktop directly connnected into the router. ISP is Time Warner cable modem. For 6 months only issues we ever had were related to TW issues. No changes made to the internal network.

About a month ago I started experiencing some slowdowns on my desktop but figured this was more of TW " enhancing" the network without giivng owarning. However, the problems persisted and I would usually re-boot the cable modem followed by the router and for a while the speed would hold. It did not seem to affect the wireless computers connected though they are used less often.

I've connected 3 different desktop PC's in the past month and had the sam eissues. I've rpelaced every ethernet cable to make sure it wasn't a simple cable issue and have also used all 4 ports in the router. I upgraded to the latest router firmware yesterday. It seems to work for a while but after going to bed and getting up next morning no internet connection and then the reboots to fix.

My power saver settings on my desktop PC are turned off. I am using an older version of ZOnealarm due to some issues I had with their newer versions not allowing me to shutdown WInXP ( version 6.51 I think ). I have the settings to lock internet activity completley disabled in Zonealarm to ensure it does not lock out the internet which in the past would cause reconnnect issues.

When I connnect directly to the cable modem, I have no issues with my desktop. It seems to be an issue only with the Netgear router and the direct LAN connections. Was curious if anyone had experienced similar behaviors. Thx

2. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

I have a Belkin wireless G router. I have one coomputer on ethernet and a laptop on wireless and have never experienced this particular problem.
    The only issue i had was when my ISP upgraded my telephone exchange and did not inform me, which caused a temporary slow down like your describing.

Theres not much i can think of as a remedy, that you've not tried already. Except getting someone out from your ISP to have a look for himself.

3. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Thread Starter

Thanks.. I don't think it is an ISP problem ( fo ronce ) because when connected directly to the cable modem I have no issues whatsoever. Only when connected directly to the router am I experiencing issues. It may be the same of rwireless and since I'm not using it myself that it is going by un noticed. I can try asking time warner but not expecitng much help there. Whatever happened, though, started about a month ago.. before that no issues at all. Thx

4. bigbear

bigbear

Have you tried disabling ZoneAlarm?
    Could also try a different antivirus, Avast works great for me

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Probably time to replace the router. The inexpensive ones seldom keep up the same speed more than a couple of years and when you have to keep resetting them and rebooting, and get the same experience on more than one unit, that's how you know.

6. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Thread Starter

Thx for both the above replies. Netgear asked me to lower my MTU settings and also to disable the SPI firewall. I've done both and so far so good but the real proof will come in the morning. I may try getting rid of Zonealarm though again never had any trouble in the past.

The router is only about 8 months old.. if they can't last any longer than that it's really a shame. $85 may not be worth what it once was but it's still real money . Until now it has been rok solid but guess we'll figure out soon enough. Thx again

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!