Netlogon Service NOT running BUT has SP6

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AMRS

A thread from last year (5/2001) that the best fix is to reinstall the OS and install SP6. My problem is that SP6 is already installed on the server. I am concerned that the reinstall/fix will delete software (obviously a great concern) and it is specialized surveillance software that I am unfamiliar with. The server doesn't act as a file server but rather as the security utility operator.

Please help.

Thank you.
AMRS

Brooks

Reinstalling the Service Pack will not damage any files, just replace any damaged ones that the service pack has.

Reinstalling the OS will kill all your settings and reset the registry, so you would have to reinstall all the programs again.

Can you start it manually?

Is there an event in the event viewer that might give you a little more to go on?

AMRS

The computer won't allow me to logon at all. That is the difficulty. I can't reinstall the SP because I can't logon. I have no idea why I can't logon as I can't logon to check the event logs.

That is why I am wondering if my only option at this point is to install the OS or try to run a fix? I prefer not to for the obvious reason that I probably will have to dump everything.

If you have any other ideas I would appreciate it. Thank you.

AMRS

Brooks

Sheesh.

That is a nasty problem.

Can you access the system at all remotely? Any shares at all?

If you can and you have a 2000 box handy, there is an easy way to read the event viewer. Right click on the My Computer icon on a 2000 box and select manage. Then under the action menu select connect to another computer. Choose the server and connect. Now you can use the 2000 MMC to read the events.

You can also copy the events from the server (if you can remote access it) and read them on another NT box, but I find that the 2000 MMC is nicer. I also use it for creating shares on the servers rather than server manager.

You could also try a parallel install of NT. Just name the NT install folder winnt2 or something. You could then load the registry hives and look at the event logs for the other install.

You could also copy over any files that may have gotten damaged on the other install.

Do you happen to have an NT server upgrade disk? There were some out there at one time to upgrade from NT 3.5 to 4.0. If you happen to have one, you could try doing an upgrade install.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online