1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netop and internet\name server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jghost5, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Implementing netop over the internet. They have a public name server but for some reason I cannot get settings right to use this. Anyone know of a good step by step for idiots?
    Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you mean NetOp the remote control software? I like it a lot.

When you say a public name server, exactly what do you mean. Typically I just have it connect to the IP address with whatever port it is configured for.

How are the server, router and clients configured?

3. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Bob, I have a linksys router at each location. I want to be able to get to all the pc's on each network. I don't understand how netop translates the public ip address to the private pc addresses or what ports to set up. I'm getting alittle confused about the security server-name server etc. also. I set up ports 6502 tcp\udp 100 tcp\udp and 99 tcp\udp to point to one pc on the lan. When I use the public modem address I don't get any connectivity. That's it in a nut-shell!

4. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

neglected to mention we have Comcast broadband at each location with sticky ips.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Start with the workstation that you are going to install as a host. Configure NetOp to use something other than the standard port of 6502. Do this for all your workstations - e.g. 6503, 6504, etc.

Then do the port mapping on the router to map the port (6503) with that workstations LAN IP address.

Then at the guest NetOP computer, you put in the Public IP address:port (e.g. 1.1.1.1:6503)

6. russelltlx

russelltlx

Bob, I am going to use NetOp for the first time. I have two braches with gateway each. Where should I start? What should I install first. I want each branch to be securely connected to each other. Thanks

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Send me an e-mail. I have step by step instructions for how to configure both the host and client. It's very simple.

8. flyerman

flyerman

Bob would you be so kind to send that information to me, please. I have tried setting up my Netgear router from to port forward 6503 UDP to my inside address. I then tried to connect from outside with calling the TCP address with the port (6503) afterwards. No dice. Do I need to put the host on the DMZ? Is there a way to do this without port forwarding? I tried port 80 figuring that port was probably opened but nothing again. Do I need a proxy server? I am going crazy, please help.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a zip file with both the host and guest instructions.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice