1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netscape 7.2 Hang/High Process CPU??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by msilvers, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msilvers

msilvers Thread Starter

On my office and 2 home PC's, plus on my daughter's PC in another state, in the last couple of days we're seeing the following:

Netscape 7.2 running under Windows XP SP2 hanging after the first few clicks after starting Netscape 7.2. When I go into Task Manager, I see 45-50% CPU on netscape.exe. Any chance this is related to this past week's Windows updates?

Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

Correction: I have Netscape 8.1.2. Someone suggested the problem could be caused by Flash Player9.028 which is not compatible with Netscape 7.2. Anyone know if it's causing problems with Netscape 8.1.2? I can't use my Netscape long enough to update Flash without hanging again. How do you look up the version of a Flash Player or other plug-in in Netscape?

2. hewee

hewee

If you open netscape and go to help, about plugins and click on it your see the plugins you got.
    Also if your seeing a flash right click on it and click on "About Adobe Flash Player 9" and it will take you to there site.
    You should go here http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/
    Your see a box with version info in it and mine says...
    You have version 9,0,28,0 installed

In mine about: Plugins it says "Shockwave Flash 9.0 r28"

3. uklroe

uklroe

I am having the same problem. I am having it on my home computer and my computer at work. My brother is having it on his home comupter and my dad is also having it on his home computer.

I checked my shuckwave flash version and it is the most current.

Netscape is completely useless like this. My brother has already switched to Firefox (permanently). I'm thinking of doing the same and the only thing keeping my from doing that is Netscape's password vault (mine has quite a few passwords in it).

4. hewee

hewee

I like Firefox and Thunderbird.

I have used Netscape for years but Netscape 7.1 is the last version I have use.
    Never seen a Password Vault but there was the Password Manager.

Firefox should be able to import your bookmarks, cookies, passwords etc.

There is MozBackup.
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of
    Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey,
    Mozilla Suite and Netscape profiles.

It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail,
    contacts, history, extensions, cache etc.

Supported versions:
    * Firefox 1.0 - 2.0
    * Thunderbird 1.0 - 2.0 Alpha
    * SeaMonkey 1.0a - 1.1
    * Mozilla Suite 1.7 - 1.7.x
    * Netscape 7.x.

It does not say it is for Netscape 8 but I bet it may still work because I think version 8 came out after this program so there was no version 8.

5. StoryAngel

StoryAngel

Exactly the same for me with v8.1.2 - but it's more like Netscape seems to freeze when the fan on my laptop is running. Every other program is fine, and once the fan turns itself off Netscape starts working again. It's only been the last few days and unfortunately has rendered the browser useless for me at the moment.

Any helpful suggestions most welcome!

6. msilvers

msilvers Thread Starter

Ok everyone here's the deal. No resolution yet, but there are confirmed and continued reports of problems on the Netscape community technical forum at:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/...owser&tid=6726

I've now read through over 8 pages of posts to this url thread, including responses from a Jay Garcia who is apparently from Netscape. The cause of the problem according to this url thread is Netscape keeps stats on everything you do and publishes them to a web site ns8-stats.netscape.com. Something is wrong with this web site as of 2/15/07 pm. It cannot be found and your Netscape browser continues to try to find the site causing the loops we are all seeing. The problem has been reported to Netscape and according to other posts on the thread is working on it at a high priority. Netscape 8.1.3 is scheduled for release in April according to yet another post. Maybe they'll issue an earlier fix for this nasty cpu loop bug. Again, it's all in the multiple posts at the above url. I imported my Netscape bookmarks into IE and am using that until it's resolved.

7. skydiver2986

skydiver2986

I am having a similar problem, although it just started Saturday 2-17-07. While I was logged on to the internet my browser (Netscape 8.1.2) started cycling between frozen for 1 to 2 minutes at a time and working fine for a minute or two. Left alone when it is frozen, things will start working again in 1 or 2 minutes and then stop moving again in 1 or 2 minutes. After running Spybot, adaware, disk clean and defrag with no help, I started watching the windows task manager and found that when the browser was frozen the cpu usage was 100% and when the browser was working OK the cpu usage was less than 10%. Also, after it cycles from frozen to not frozen and back several times (5 minutes or so), the disk clean up shows a lot of new data on the disk. After removing this data and allowing the system to cycle through the browser running and not running again, it is back. Obviously, something is causing the system to download a lot of data. The system seems to run fine, if I do not connect to the internet. I am currently on my wife's computer to talk to techsupportguy and not having the problem. Both systems are on a small home LAN with 2 computers and 1 printer. In light of what I am reading about the Netscape web site being down causing the problem, this machine uses IE 99% of the time, but I am currently using Netscape on my user side. In fact, I just downloaded version 8.1.2 and installed it. Still no problem on this machine.

8. StoryAngel

StoryAngel

9. hewee

hewee

10. msilvers

msilvers Thread Starter

Netscape has announced the ver 8.X problem involving their statistics server has been permanently fixed. My Netscape browser is working again without making any of their temporary changes.

See the Netscape Announcement at:
    http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/...owser&tid=6916

11. hewee

hewee

I seen the other thread http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/544761-problems-netscape-8-1-a.html#post4465456 and seems that things are better now.

I always had my own home page on my PC and use a hosts file too.
    I never installed the feedback on the pass version I had either.

I like my Firefox 1.5 that I will have to upgrade because support on it will end soon. Got a couple Firefox-Extensions that don't work on FF 2.x either so will have to find another to do the same thing.

I keep Netscape 7.1 on my PC so I can edit web pages and for what ever reason sometimes when flash will not work in FF it will in Netscape and who knows why when the plugins are the same.
    Plus some things they hide so you can not save a flash, video, music if I can't get it in FF I may get it in Netscape.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice