1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netscape 8.1

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CLARION53, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CLARION53

CLARION53 Thread Starter

Hello:

Long time since I need help.

I made the Netscape 8.1 my default browser but to my surprise the Icons for Web Sites in my Desktop became blank as you can see in the attached file. When I made Netscape 7.2 my default browser the Netscape Icons came back. I uninstalled and re-installed NS 8.1 again and the Icons became blank again as you can see.

Help please,

MAB
    :confused:

2. Cstrikedish

Cstrikedish

If you uninstall the Netscape 8.1 and make IE your default browser, you should see the IE Icons on your computer. If so, reinstall the Netscape 8.1, and the Netscape icons must be displayed on your computer without blank.

3. CLARION53

CLARION53 Thread Starter

I did as you suggested. IE placed the Icons. NS 8.1 removed them again when it became de default browser.

Thanks but there must be something else,

MAB:( :confused: :mad:

4. CLARION53

CLARION53 Thread Starter

I get this message when I place Icons manually, which I can do but there too many and it doesn't let do it as a group.

HELP Pls!!!

Cheers,

MAB:confused: :mad: :confused:

Attached Files:

5. hewee

hewee

Right click on one of the shortcut icons on your desktop and click on properties.
    Now click on web document tab and click on the change icon button.
    Then a window will come up and you should see icons to pick from.
    If you do not see any to pick from then click browse... and go to where you got netscape installed and find the netscape.exe or I think Netscp.exe that starts the netscape program and click on it.
    Now you should see icons to pick from.
    Pick on a icon you want and click ok and then click apply and ok.

6. CLARION53

CLARION53 Thread Starter

Hewee:

That is the method I used to change individual shortcuts but there too many and everywhere. Pointing to executable file of NS 8.1 comes with the message I send before stating, no Icon associated with Netscape.exe. It says that Netscape.exe contains no Icon. There are Icons in the subdirectory of NS as well as System 32 (I placed there too). NS_ICON

Regards,

MAB
    Spooky
    :confused: :mad: :confused:

7. hewee

hewee

Go to folder options, file types and try the same thing.
    Then with what you just did and doing this way to when you pick browse in the file of types you have the drop down so pick the others there to see if you can find the netscape and the icons.

8. CLARION53

CLARION53 Thread Starter

Hewee:

This time it worked. Case closed. But I still do not know why NS didn't do it or does it. Thanks.

Regards,

MAB

9. hewee

hewee

Maybe it just needed a reboot. I know after IE that I hate because I always use netscape screwed up and I needed it to get MS update I did the IE repair and after that all the netscape shortcut on my PC were IE. I could not get it fixed. The best I could do was go to the properties of each shortcut and change the icon and you know that is a pain to change each one of them one at a time.

Anyhow glad you got yours fixed.

You may want to backup your profile too.
    MozBackup 1.4.5
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Does not say it is for Netscape 8.1 but it is for...
    * Firefox 1.0 - 2.0
    * Thunderbird 1.0 - 2.0 Alpha
    * SeaMonkey 1.0a - 1.1
    * Mozilla Suite 1.7 - 1.7.x
    * Netscape 7.x.

Plus I think your netscape 8.1 is only the browser so you do not have email and the HTML editor like pass netscape versions did.
    So you may want to get SeaMonkey that is a all in one...
    Web-browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple -- all your Internet needs in one application.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

10. CLARION53

CLARION53 Thread Starter

Hewee:

I didn't work after all. It went back to blank Icons after the next reboot. So, I went back to Netscape 7.2. Now everybody coexists in harmony again. NS lost their bearings in version 8.1. Too many changes not all that useful. Keep it simple as the saying goes.

Thanks again.

MAB

11. hewee

hewee

Sorry to hear that.
    Ok did you have netscape 8.1 set as your default browser?
    If not that may had a effect on it but I have a feeling it would not change anything.

If I was you I would backup your profile and get away from the AOL versions of netscape.
    Get Firefox and Thunderbird for email. Or get SeaMonkey.
    No matter what you may if you got the hard drive space still want to keep Netscape 7.2. Keep 7.2 even if you never really use it can be used if you get Firefox if you ever want to edit a page because Firefox does not have HTML editing. SeaMonkey is like Netscape 7.2 anf has email and HTML editing too.
    Plus I don't know just what but I use Netscape 7.02 still now and then when I can not get a flash or another movie etc that using a plug-in to work in Firefox but it will work in Netscape. Very sme plugins in both so are to know why that happens but plugins can be funny and I bet it has to do when each was installed and in what order they were installed.

Plus I got to say I used to be able to deal with fixing things easy in Netscape till AOL took over. You used to be able to just copy your profile folder into a new profile but you can not do that now.
    With Firefox I am not sure if you can do it either but it is very easy to restore. I used the MozBackup.
    Backed up FF 1.5 and then installed FF 2.0 right over top 1.5. I did not like it because I losted a couple really nice add-ons I use. So I then installed 1.5 over top of 2.0.
    All was like nothing happen and everything worked.
    I know you can not do that with Netscape 7.x because it would want to make a all new profile etc and I guess version 8.x is the same way.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice