1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netscape and Javascript

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by danielh68, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danielh68

danielh68 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having problems with a site I'm developing. The client insists on using a script that floats the menu bar. The function isn't bad, in fact I like it. It works great in Explorer, however it fails in Netscape 6. It just doesn't move. Here's the link if your interested: http://www.blitzdesign.net/visual_three/index.htm

I'm really confused. I don't know if Netscape is problematic towards javascript, or it's something in the code. I just don't know. I don't have much experience with Netscape, I looked in preference to see if the javascript was enabled. The only thing I found was the "application helper", upon which I added javascript, too. If anyone has any suggestion, they will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. hewee

hewee

3. danielh68

danielh68 Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate your help :)

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

It appears that this script is set to look for specific types of browsers. It works correctly in IE and Netscape 4.7x. It does not work correctly in Mozilla 0.9.7, Netscape 6.0. It does on the other hand work correctly in Opera if I set it to identify itself as IE 5.0. If I set it to identify itself as Opera or Mozilla, it does not work. This is a coding issue and not a browser issue.

I know this, because I have an older website that does the same thing.

Look inside the .js file that is uploaded on on the server.

It will more than likely have inside something that is looking for an id of either netscape or IE and if something else ids itself, it does not run.

Mine has this in it. Where the n is netscape and ie of course is Internet Explorer.

if (document.all) {n=0;ie=1;fShow="visible";fHide="hidden";}
    if (document.layers) {n=1;ie=0;fShow="show"; fHide="hide";}

The reason it will not work correctly is that Netscape 6.x does not id itself as Netscape. It ids itself as Mozilla, which in reality it is. All Netscape 6.x is, is a rebranded version of Mozilla.

You will need to get a menu that does not depend on a specific browser id string to work.

http://www.likno.com/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!