1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netscape History File

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wbergen, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wbergen

wbergen Thread Starter

My history file is broke. How do I fix it? It broke in Communicator Rev. 4.79, I uninstalled 4.78 and added rev 4.79 and it still doesn't work---entering the history file results in a general fault. In windows exployer I can't erase the file 'netscape.hst'even though the read only is not activated.
    I was able to delete the netscape.hst file and when I opened Communicator it created a 0k size file,but none of the visited sites get entered into the file. If I replace the 0K size file with an older history file from a backup, I get a general fault when I go into history through 'tools'.
    A friend suggested changing the number of days that the history file retains the URL's, and this resolved my problem, allowing me to substitute a backup history file of 11M size.

2. beach51

beach51

Hi wbergen,and welcome to TSG.Really dont know much about netscape,but it sounds like a corrupt history folder.Lets try this.Assuming you have windows 98 or ME,go to start>shutdown>restart in ms-dos>at the c:\ prompt type,

smartdrv (hit the enter key)

Deltree/y History (hit the enter key)

Exit (hit the enter key)

This command will delete all the files in your history folder and the folder.Windows will recreate a new one when you reboot.

Note if your using windows ME,you will need the bootdisk to enter dos.

Lets us know if this helps

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You are on the right track. Make sure that Netscape is not running when you try to delete it. The best time to do it would be right after a reboot of the computer and before Netscape is opened.

If still no go, you might could start in dos mode and delete it.

If you need more help, post back with questions and I will try to help you.

It being the weekend, it might be a little while before I get back to you though.

If all else fails, create a new user and shutdown netscape. Then copy the bookmark.htm, prefs.js, liprefs.js and cookies.txt files from your old profile into your new one. You have to make sure that netscape is not running, because if it is running when you do the copy, it will overwrite your info when you close it.

After you are certain that the new profile is correct and your bookmarks came through right (it might be a good idea to keep a copy of them in a second location just in case of catastrophe later on) then go into the user profile manager and delete the original one.

4. hewee

hewee

wbergen,

Welcome to TSG.

Don't know why you can't delete the netscape.hst.
    Do know that you can't if it is running.
    It Netscape crashed and closed down on you you may still have it running in the background. Do a CAD and you will see Netscape and you will have to close it out.
    I delete my netscape.hst all the time.

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/nshistoolbar.html#htb

NETSCAPE SOLUTIONS has a lot of good info.

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

Has SPECIFIC ERRORS •• Netscape 4.x and TROUBLESHOOTING NETSCAPE ERRORS - Netscape 4.x you can read.

Ramona the site owner is over here right now.

http://www.tweaksanlinks.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

I bet you can get it fixed real easy if you ask her. She is real good and I don't think your have to redo everything.
    But making backups of the user folder is alway a good thing to do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice