Netscape Messaging Server and Outlook 2002

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Brooks

Recently we decided to purchase a small number of Office XP liscenses to test and evaluate before deciding to outlay the cash to upgrade the organization. I, being the network administrator, am one of the Guinea Pigs.

We use Netscape Messaging Server. When I upgraded Outlook, I found that I can no longer use our ldap address server to look up addresses. I recieve the following message in a pop-up box:

Insufficient Rights to Browse the Directory.

Then I recieve a pop-up stating: The action could not be completed.

This only happens in Outlook 2002. If I uninstall it and go back to Outlook 2000, I don't have this problem. Neither does Mozilla 0.9.5 or OE 6. Only Outlook 2002.

Anyone have any idea what I need to change to be able to correct this?

Thanks

Hope this helps

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, connect to the Internet or to the network that the LDAP directory server is on.

WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, change the order of the e-mail accounts:

In Outlook 2002, on the Tools menu, click Address Book. The error may appear when the Address Book dialog box opens.

Click the Tools menu, and then click Options.

Change the option under Show this address list first to be an address book other than the LDAP directory.

Under When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following order, move the LDAP directory to the bottom of the list by selecting it and clicking the down-arrow.

Savvy :)

Brooks

Thanks,

That does take care of part of the problem when I try to address a message, except that it still tells me I don't have rights when I go in and try to search the ldap server and it still gives me those errors. At least I can use my contacts now without being bombarded with errors.

I will continue to use Mozilla when I need to contact someone that I don't have stored locally yet.

Maybe Microsoft will release a fix for it in their next update to outlook.

Brooks

I found the answer to this problem. Microsoft states that this issue will be fixed in Service Pack 1 for Office XP.

Edit:

Microsoft Released the Service Pack and it does fix the problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online