1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NETSCAPE v8.1

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by helpseeker, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I'm running Win98SE and currently use Netscape 7.0 as my browser,and want to upgrade to version 8.1. All my mail resides in a folder on my computer. What do I have to do to keep this mail when I uninstall v7.0 and install v8.1? Also, do I have to uninstall the old version, or will the new one just install over it?

2. hewee

hewee

NETSCAPE, MOZILLA, and FIREFOX SOLUTIONS

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

Site does not say anything about 8.1 but info should be the same. At less on what you need to back up will be the same.

I know there are two ways to do a uninstall. You will be asked if you just want to remove the profile from the profile manager or remover the profile. Where removing the profile will delete the profile.
    So what ever way you go do a back up of your profile first because no matter what way you go your have a copy to get things back.

But read up on doing a clean install.
    Performing a "Clean" Install for Netscape 7 / Mozilla 1.x

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns67cleaninstall.html

It will tell you what is where on your PC and what to back up.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee

First of all, Netscape 8.1 isn't an upgrade to Netscape 7.x. It is an AOL browser, owned by AOL, and note that it has been some time since it has been updated. It has nothing to do with the old Netscape we all knew and loved...

Secondly, Netscape 8.1 is a standalone browsers, i.e., there is no mail client. Netscape 8.1 installs in this directory: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser
    The Profile is located here: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Netscape\NSB\Profiles
    It doesn't install over Netscape 7.0 as they are two different applications

Good though that you are upgrading as the Netscape 7.x browsers are now obsolete, bug ridden, and have many security vulnerabilities.

If you are dead set on having a suite, which includes Mail and Composer, then upgrade to SeaMonkey 1.0.2. You will see little to no difference in the appearance, or settings of the browser, and it is oh so much faster, secure, and up to date!

My preference is Firefox 1.5.0.4, a standalone browser, and Thunderbird 1.5.0.4, a standalone Mail Client, both of which are the star attraction of Mozilla.

You could also install SeaMonkey without the Mail & Newsgroups component, by doing a "Custom" install. Then use Thunderbird as your mail client...

Follow hewee's advice and back up your Profiles folder before any editing of the program or profile. All three of the above mentioned applications automagically migrate your Netscape 7.0 Profile. Both Firefox and Thunderbird have separate Profiles location, however SeaMonkey remains in the default Profiles folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ (SeaMonkey)

More than you ever wanted to know... and no, I don't work for Mozilla.org! ;)

4. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

Many thanks! Your response was very enlightening. I'm now over Netscape 8.1, and will try to use one of the others you referenced. Some questions:

Do I need to uninstall Netscape 7, or just ignore it?

If I install Firefox or SeaMonkey, will I still be able to access my old (Netscape) mail residing on my computer?

Do you know if Firefox or SeaMonkey have the Password Manager feature that Netscape has?

5. Cherokee

Cherokee

1. I wouldn't uninstall Netscape until you install either Firefox & Thunderbird, or SeaMonkey. You don't have to uninstall it at all, as it will cause no problems with the other three applications. One word of caution, however, if you decide on SeaMonkey:

Do NOT share profiles between SeaMonkey and Netscape 7. SeaMonkey and Netscape 7 share the same profile registry and directory. However, a profile created by one may be incompatible with another. SeaMonkey will automatically use your Netscape 7 profile unless you have multiple profiles, in which case SeaMonkey prompts you to choose a profile to migrate.

To avoid accidentally opening SeaMonkey with your Netscape profile, create a new, extra profile using your Netscape’s Profile Manager before installing SeaMonkey. When you start SeaMonkey, the Profile Manager will appear, and you can select the new Profile. Then you will need to manually copy Mail files, Address Book, Bookmarks, etc., from the Netscape Profile.

This will not be a problem with Fx and TB, as they have their separate Profiles folder.

2. Are you talking about archived mail, if not, remember that TB will automatically migrate all mail in NS 7.

3. Fx, TB, and SeaMonkey all have a Password Manager similar to Netscape's with improvements. Now you are able to view the Passwords...

Read the SeaMonkey Release Notes, which are full of install information. The same is true for Firefox, and Thunderbird.

If you have further questions please let us know! (y)

6. hewee

hewee

Hey good to see you drop by Ramona. :)
    Thanks for helping out here too.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee

Thanks hewee! :)

It's a pleasure to be here, and always trying to help...

8. hewee

hewee

Your so welcome and you know I always like your great help that so many of us can use. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice