1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

netscape

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ba, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ba

ba Thread Starter

I use netscape 4.72. I click on netscape shortcut on desktop and dialup connection box opens. I have to check connect automatically. I didn't have this problem until I talked with my internet provider's tech support. I called them about slow page loading on the internet. In the process they had me change and rechange(called 6 times)certain things in dialup networking properties, and modem. I still have the problem of slow page loading. I have updated mcafee and scaned. I have defragged. I have 89% resoures and I have emptied cache and disk space on preferences. I would appreciate someone helping me with both problems.

2. hewee

hewee

ba,

Not sure where the box is to check/incheck for the connect automatically part is at.

You can delete the netscape.hst file.
    You need to have netscape closed to delete the file.You will get a new one the next time you open netscape.

Look over these links here.

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

http://home.att.net/~mojol/index2.html

The sites owner is here right now at this board.

http://www.tweaksanlinks.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

What is your modem speed?
    Have you called you phone company?
    Don't say anything about the modem but tell them to check the lines because things are not as clear as it used to be. Then you will know if you line is the trouble or not.
    It happen to me before and once the phone company came out and fixed the line all was ok.

If you don't need the java on you can turn it off in netscape and pages will load faster.

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Also click on the spyware link next to my name and download Adaware 5.62 Final. Once installed and ran, remove all that it finds.

4. ba

ba Thread Starter

Doyce, I have Mcafee 6.0 the newest version. I updated it after having this problem and scaned my system. No viruses. Is the virus scanner link you suggest any better than mcafee. Also I tried the link for the spy ware but it gave a message about the server being down or something. If this is a good link I would like to try it again. Please advise. The other link was good but I have already changed my resources by deleting startup items and I have it at 89%. Thanks and any help will be appreciated. By the way I live in south Alabama.

5. hewee

hewee

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ba... spyware is not like a virus... McAfee will not detect spyware but can be there bogging your system down just the same... you really need to get Ad-Aware.

Savvy :)

But Im wondering in reading your post if what you want to know is how to get the connection to connect automatically when you click on Netscape?

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

BTW- The virus scan would really depend on how updated your files are. It never hurts to be scanned. Name brand is really a matter of opinion and could start a debate. PCcillin is good, which is the link provided. Im not fond of McAfee in general but I wouldnt suggest buying another unless you just really wanted to. Update it once a week and it should do well.

9. ba

ba Thread Starter

Thanks Hewee,Savvylady & Doyce.
    I will try the spyware and I appreciate the help. I will let you know how it turns out.

10. hewee

hewee

DoyceJ,

Your welcome.

ba,

Wish ya the best

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice