1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netstat error

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jknops, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jknops

jknops Thread Starter

:confused: Ok, so I'm running WinXP, trying to put together a home network between a linux box and a windows box (a task in itself!), and while trying to find out if the windows machine knows that the linux box is there, I used netstat. Lucky me.

When I type netstat into the command prompt, a dialogue pops up saying,
    "c:\windows\system32\netstat.com is not a valid win32 application," after which, when I click OK, the command prompt says that access is denied. I've looked in the environment variables (system32 wasn't there, so I added it), looked in system32 itself (netstat.com and .exe are there, but .com still isn't a valid win32 etc...), and the only solution I've found is to create a batch file named netstat that calls the .exe. This is a royal pain, because when the executable finishes, you have to close the window because it won't let you do anything else. I am very confused, and about ready to through my system off my balcony.
    Any help that can be offered on this issue will be very much appreciated.

*Note: attached is a screenshot of the error message I'm receiving. *

//If only Windows didn't suck so badly...\\

Attached Files:

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy jknops...

Ummm...my friend...

There is no netstat.com (it's netstat.exe), I would suspect you have a virus or some malware/spyware...

If you can post a hijack this log http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html, and have a mod move this to the Security forum, you should get it taken care of there...

3. jknops

jknops Thread Starter

so I should delete the netstat.com file and think nothing of it? I've done a number of mal/spyware/virus scans (in safe mode as well) and nothing found it... Is it because it's a com file?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...you can try...

But...I remember a piece of malware/spyware/virus like this, from back many moons ago (forget what it was now, hey it's 4:22am here and I've got to go to bed ), and it may cause other problems later on down the road...

JMO...you can do what you want...

5. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

You shouldn't have or need to have a file named "netstat.com". When you type "netstat -a" into the command prompt (as an example) it should execute the "netstat.exe" program from within C:\WINNT\system32 (on an XP machine like yours).

If the ".com" is being added without your actually typing it, then I would suspect something amiss and would follow Jedi's suggestion of having someone in the Security forums check this out.

6. jknops

jknops Thread Starter

Ok, so I took jedi's advice and did about 6 different scans in safe mode, and they all came up with something. Of course, they were all trial versions and wouldn't do anything for themselves, so I had to look up the viruses they detected on symantec's website and manually edit the registry and delete the infected files. So far, no problems except some performance degradation, which I can't seem to figure out yep. Otherwise, problem solved!

Thanks again for the speedy response, everyone!

-Jeff

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice