1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netstat indicates someone is using my dsl connection?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by webzter, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi;

I was here yesterday and asked for a hand at evaluating a Hijackthis scan-
    was attempting to sort-out an issue affecting what I believed to be odd DSL speed variations

It was reviewed and everything was ok having the suggestion made to do a
    virus scan, which I performed and everything was clean.

looked in to what else might be affecting dsl oerformance and came accross a test you can run to see who's using your connection called "NETSTAT"...
    Ir was also suggested that in conjunction with that, one could use the
    "traffic scan" as part of my actiontec router software (a utility app also used to see what traffic is being generated on your DSL connection)

Found some awfully odd stuff and I cant understand why I wasnt able to account for it with hijack, virus scans, firewall apps,etc-

the more peculiar website addresses found on my connection INCLUDE...
    "JETSTREAM WIRELESS", VISUALWARE.COM, VISUALWAVE.COM, etc.

Can anyone, since my scans both virus and hijack come-up clean, suggest what I can do to STOP this sort of thing- I wouldnt mind if these guys offered to pay for part of my service, but since I dont think its likely to happen, I'd really like to zap'em, does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe something like Spybot or something?

Many thanks in advance for any and all help!
    WEBZ

2. milomorai

milomorai

are you running a wireless network? if so go into the security section of the router config and set it to allow only the mac addresses you specify. that will keep everybody else out. if you are not sure where to go, contact the support for the router manufacturer.

3. Nok1

Nok1

visualware and those sites are used by mcaffee firewall.

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

milomoria and Nok1...thank you both!

No...I am not running wirelesss- that's what surprised me- as for the McAfee "ware"- I understand, thanks Nok1....I did try tightening-up the Zone Alarm and I ran spybot and caught about two dozen various rats in the woodpile- that seemed to clear everything up and stop the "parasites"-
    thanks to you both for your interest- its genuinely appreciated!
    WEBZ

5. Nok1

Nok1

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!