1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netware 5.1 servers with XP - speed problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dave_W, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dave_W

Dave_W Thread Starter

Ever since I switched from my old Win98 P700 to a WinXP P2400 I have noticed that network browsing is far SLOWER. The Novell client (v4.90) is obviously different from the 98 version.

I'm guessing that it is something to do with caching - e.g. when I first fire up the machine, My Computer network drives take ages to appear, populate, and traverse/browse. Then they speed up. If I leave the computer for a while (e.g. go out for lunch), its slow when I come back, but speeds up again.

Any pointers to how to tweak this for speed? I feel really aggrieved that a newer/faster/bigger PC is a worse performer than my old one ! :confused:

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried using the Netware drivers directly from Novell? It looks like the version may be the same but just want to make sure.

Also you might want to apply the same registry edit that speeds up browsing to Win98/NT networks. Never test a before and after since I always put this on all XP computers.

Delete the following registry key on the Windows2000 or WindowsXP computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Explorer / RemoteComputer / NameSpace {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

3. Dave_W

Dave_W Thread Starter

Deleting that registry key seems to have done the trick - thanks !

is there any explanation anywhere as to why it works?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From what I understand, the delay is caused by Windows2000/XP checking to see if there are any scheduled tasks on the remote computer.

Removing the registry key stops that check.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice