network 2 pc's and share internet access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

$lim

i have 2 PC's both with windows XP Pro on them. I have a D-link DI604 router and i am trying to share my adelphia internet access on them. i plugged the modem cable into the router and connected the 2 PC's to the router as well. What else do i need to do to set this up???

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Is it not working? Sounds like you got it right!

Make sure your network cards on your PC's are set to obtain an IP address automatically.
If yoru Internet connection is DSL and it uses PPPoE, then you need to go into the router config and configure that as well.

$lim

the router IP should automatically pull 192.168.1.1 right?
i don't have a disk for the D-link router either, but shouldn't XP have the drivers already?.
and it is cable internet through Adelphia.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You dont need drivers for the router. It is all web based setup. You just need to make sure your network cards in your PC's are working correctly.

Open up a web browser and try going to the routers IP address. I think it might be 192.168.0.1, that is what my d-link routers are by default unless you change it.

Open up a cmd prompt on your comptuers and see if you are getting an IP address from the router.

start > run > cmd
ipconfig /all

The gateway address will be the address you use to get to the routers web based configuration.

$lim

i will give it a try when i get home tonight, thanks alot for your help. i know that both NICs are working, i will let you know how it turns out.

$lim

as of right now i have 1 of the PC's working. the second PC will not pull and IP address, after dong a release and renew. the funny thing also, is that the one pc that is connect is not pulling an IP address of 192.168.x.x. It is pulling the same one that it had before. when i run ipconfig /renew on the second pc i get an error message of " unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out" I also can not ping any 192.168.x.x. addresses.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
post the results of ipconfig /all for both of your machines.

$lim

i now have it working. i powercycled all of the devices and machines and it finally came back up. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online