1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network 2 PC's via Netgear Hub

Discussion in 'Networking' started by unit213, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

Ok, you guys fixed the most important problem for me a few mins ago. Here is my final question: I am trying to network two PC's together using a Netgear Hub (model DS104). The host PC has cable modem internet access. All hardware, software, and drivers are installed. The second PC has no internet access. How do I connect the two?

2. Lem0njell0

Lem0njell0

Now that you have installed your network cards and drivers, you need to hook it all together. With the PCs switched off, plug a category-5 patch cable into the network card in each PC (you should hear a click when you plug it in). Run each of these cables to the ethernet hub and plug them in. Be sure not to plug either cable into the "uplink" jack on the back of the hub - you may also want to avoid jack number 1 to avoid any confusion if you need the uplink jack for a cable modem or future expansion (the uplink jack and jack #1 are connected internally); any other two jacks should work fine.

Plug in the hub according to its directions. This will usually involve plugging a DC power supply into the wall (or power strip) and plugging the other end into the hub. If the hub has a power switch, turn it on. Turn on both PCs, and let them boot up. If all goes well, they will see each other on the network. You can check this by clicking on "Network Neighborhood" on your desktop. Double-click the name of your network , and you should see all of the PCs and printers on the network - you should see the name you gave to the other PC listed here, meaning you are connected.

Once you have verified that you are connected to the network, you can map network drives in Windows Explorer, so that you can access the drive on the remote PC like any other logical drive (i.e. the other PC's C: drive could show up on your PC as the F: drive, or whatever letter you assign it). Here are the steps:

Open Windows Explorer
    Choose "tools" from the menu
    Choose "map network drive"
    Choose a drive letter from the drop-down menu
    Enter the path to the remote drive
    Click "reconnect at logon", if you want this connection to be available each time you log in to the network
    Click OK

Your drive is now mapped! Use it just like any other drive on your system (i.e. you can copy files to/from it, save files to it, etc.)

3. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

I've done all you've recommended. I've tried to map them, but the two PC's don't see each other on the network. By the way, I have XP on one and 98se on the other. How can I get the two to see each other on the network?

This is getting a little frustrating, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Any help would be appreciated!

Dan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice