Network 2 PC's w/ hub & cable modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

camaro_ls1

I am trying to set up a two PC network. The host is running XP and the client is running Win 98. I have two NIC cards in the host so it will act as the server. I am using a Netgear (DS104) Hub. The Cat-5 cables, software, and drivers are all installed, properly I believe. The host currently has internet access. My goal is for both to be able to use the cable modem to access the internet. Both computers "see" each other on the network, but file sharing isn't allowed. What am I doing wrong?

Replies will be greatly appreciated.

Steven

Connect the Cable modem to the hub not the XP box and take out the second NIC.

camaro_ls1

Will it matter if I leave the NIC in the XP box or should I remove it and uninstall it? Also, does it matter which port I plug the cable modem into in the hub? Does it need to be in the "normal/uplink" port?

Thank you for your help.

Steven

Probably won't matter if you leave the nic in or out. Disable it in device manager to avoid conflicts.

The cable modem goes to the uplink port, the computers to standard ports with cat5 straight cables

...and you need to identify which drives, folders, or files can be shared
- need at least one on each machine

enable sharing through right click, properties, sharing on drive, folders, files through windows explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online