1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network 2 PC's w/ hub & cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by camaro_ls1, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camaro_ls1

camaro_ls1 Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a two PC network. The host is running XP and the client is running Win 98. I have two NIC cards in the host so it will act as the server. I am using a Netgear (DS104) Hub. The Cat-5 cables, software, and drivers are all installed, properly I believe. The host currently has internet access. My goal is for both to be able to use the cable modem to access the internet. Both computers "see" each other on the network, but file sharing isn't allowed. What am I doing wrong?

Replies will be greatly appreciated.

Steven

2. Rockn

Rockn

Connect the Cable modem to the hub not the XP box and take out the second NIC.

3. camaro_ls1

Will it matter if I leave the NIC in the XP box or should I remove it and uninstall it? Also, does it matter which port I plug the cable modem into in the hub? Does it need to be in the "normal/uplink" port?

Thank you for your help.

Steven

4. brianF

brianF

Probably won't matter if you leave the nic in or out. Disable it in device manager to avoid conflicts.

The cable modem goes to the uplink port, the computers to standard ports with cat5 straight cables

5. camaro_ls1

Last question...

Does the file/print sharing need to be enabled on both boxes?

6. brianF

brianF

If you want to be able to see and copy files on the network yes.

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

...and you need to identify which drives, folders, or files can be shared
    - need at least one on each machine

enable sharing through right click, properties, sharing on drive, folders, files through windows explorer

8. camaro_ls1

Thanks. You guys are great.

steve

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice