1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network a vista computer and a XP computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by domthink, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. domthink

domthink Thread Starter

I had a network set up when all my computers were XP's. When I got a vista computer, I am unable to network this one with the XP's. Is there some link that I can go to to see what needs to be done. I have gotten different answer from so called experts. Some say that it can not be done and others say it can.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What are the problems that you are having?

Do you have the user accounts passworded and are they the same on the Vista and XP machines with the same password?

3. domthink

domthink Thread Starter

yes. same passwords are used

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Have you set up the sharing on the Vista machine?

Have you made a share on the Vista machine?

Can you see the XP machines from the Vista machine and likewise from the XP machines can you see the Vista machine?

What Firewall are you using an EACH machine?

5. domthink

domthink Thread Starter

I have set up sharing
    I can see the XP machine from the Vista
    What do you mean by asking " Have you made a share? Not sure how to answer this:rolleyes:

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    You must define a share, with Windows Explorer open, select a drive and then properties. They you should see a Sharing tab, and now you can share the whole drive.
    If you want to share ONLY a folder go to that folder, and select properties of it.

Click on Advance Sharing button, check the Share this drive and give it a name that makes since. OK yourself out.

7. domthink

domthink Thread Starter

I asked this question to meet my obligation to post a question. I will need more time to get back into this issue. Thanks for you fast responses. I will have postpone working on this for now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice