1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Access errors

Discussion in 'Networking' started by caminator, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

I have a user here that has always been able to log on and access his files without a problem. He came in this morning, logged onto the network without any problems. He can access any of the files and folders that he previously had access to, but he cannot access him Profile folder, or his User folder. This is the error that he gets when he tries to reach those folders. I sent it as an attachment.

I checked the server, and it shows that he has access to both those folders under "security" when you right click on the folder. He can logon to the network without any problems. If he didnt have access to the profile one, he wouldnt even be able to logon, and it would just sign him on as a local profile anyway. That just helps prove he has priveledges to access those folders. So why when he manually clicks on those drives does it tell him he doesn't have access?

If there is any other valuable infomation you need to help me solve this problem, just let me know and I'll do my best to supply you with any info.

Attached Files:

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Can he access the server from a different machine? That may help you decide if this is a server or workstation problem.

3. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

He is not setup as a roaming profile, because he has a laptop. So what do you suggest undere these circumstances? :-/

4. cybertech

So if I understand you correctly when he logs on he does not go into his profile, he gets a temporary profile. Have him map the drive as a different user and use his profile credentials.

5. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

That is where it is strange. He logs in, and it DOES log him into his profile not a temp one. His drive mapping are there, his background, icons, everything is EXACTLY the way it is supposed to be.

The difference now is, he cannot access his mapped drives. It tells him he does not have priveledges or something to access them all of a sudden. I checked the security of those folders he is trying to access, and he has "Full Control" in both drives.

It recognizes him as he logs onto the the network, but it will not give him access to those particular mapped drives, even though he has FULL CONTROL in them. What could be causing this, it's a really strange issue! :-(

6. cybertech

Are you on a domain or workgroup? If it's a domain who controls the logon scripts? and have those changed? Are you using OU controls?

What happens if he uses the "connect using a different user id"?

Yup, got a few of those myself right now as well. Sometimes, quite by suprise, they go away and NO ONE knows why :rolleyes: or will admit to having done anything.

7. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

Where is that, and what does it do?

We are in a domain, and the only thing the logon script does is point the user to the specified printer.

I am not sure what this means exactly.

8. cybertech

When you map a network drive click on "connect using a different user name". Syntax here is domain\username and user password.

Organizational Unit If the user is in the wrong OU it could prohibit access to the server.

9. DJ-TM

DJ-TM

Its strange for the profiles to be working ok but privilages not working, might be a hostname problem.

try accessing the network share by ip address inplace of the hostname.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice