Network adapter dies frequently after installing drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FarrowMitchens

My network adapter seems to die every 2 minutes or so when under enough stress. When I load too many tabs at once or try to download a large game, my internet seems to fail soon after. It all works perfectly fine until I run enough network-intensive programs at the same time. Once my network adapter fails, I run the network troubleshooter and it seems to fix things for a little while, but the problem still persists. It isn't a problem of the router or modem; other devices on the network don't have any issues. I recently updated my adapter drivers to escape a previous (but probably related) issue involving my network adapter freezing/dying similarly to how astralyte's did in this thread.
This problem is very annoying and makes certain things very difficult to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Compy Specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191126122123.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro K2100M
Hard Drives: C: 463 GB (109 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., s/n /CGY3W32/ /
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n CGY3W32
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According your log, you have THIS Dell Precision M4800 15.6" laptop.

According to its warranty and system configuration sections, it was purchased on August 21, 2015 and came with Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

According to your log, Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363 64-bit was installed in it on November 26, 2019.

According to its drivers section, it came with these network adapters:
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac wireless
Intel I2xx/825xx gigabit ethernet

-------------------------------------------------

You didn't say if the connection is with the wireless connection or with the wired ethernet connection.

One thing you should do is get rid of Avast Antivirus and stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app - Windows Security.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

FarrowMitchens

It is my wireless adapter that is having issues. I have already uninstalled avast earlier today and replaced it with Malwarebytes; I'm not quite sure why the log says I'm using avast.

TerryNet

Terry
It is my wireless adapter that is having issues.
The first thing to do is to make sure you have the latest correct wireless driver. If an integrated adapter the driver should be from Dell's web site. Else from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 wireless mini card has reached "end of life", so Intel hasn't updated its driver since last year.
I'm familiar with that because I have the same wireless mini card in my Dell Precision M6400 laptop.
The most current driver for it (18.33.17.1) can be downloaded from HERE.

------------------------------------------------

FarrowMitchens

The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 wireless mini card has reached "end of life", so Intel hasn't updated its driver since last year.
I'm familiar with that because I have the same wireless mini card in my Dell Precision M6400 laptop.

------------------------------------------------
I have installed that exact driver version (18.33.17.1) from intel's website, but the problem still persists. Could it be fixed by replacing the adapter with a newer one? or does my system only work with the AC 7260? Sorry, I don't know much when it comes to replacing hardware.

TerryNet

Terry
Frank, many people looking for help here don't bother reading all of the information on that link. In particular almost all ignore the small but important caution:

"About Intel® drivers and software

We recommend you contact your system manufacturer prior to installing our software or drivers as they may provide software or drivers specifically configured for your system."

Of course, sometimes it doesn't matter. It's entirely possible that the latest driver Dell supplies may not fix this particular problem.

I will politely stay away from this thread now.

FarrowMitchens

I bought and installed a new adapter and the problem seems to have been solved. Thanks to all of you who helped me with this issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online