1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network adapter gone?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bumbledor, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Win 7, ausus mother board,
    yesterday worked fine.
    Today cannot find network adaptor, (LAN). BIOS says its enabled. Windows does not see it. Tried installiing driver for it.
    any ideas?
    it does not show up in device manager.
    thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact model number of your ASUS motherboard?

It's very possible its integrated ethernet device has died.
    Installing a PCI or PCI-E ethernet card and its driver should resolve the issue.
    I've had this happen to 3 desktops/towers over the years - which is why I keep a couple of ethernet cards in my parts box.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Well, Luckly I did have a PCI wireless card. Installed it and yes I am on it now. I tried installing the device driver from the Mother board set up.

the mother board is an asus M4A785-M . I even tried resetting the bios and found the battery was dead so I replaced that too. Then I tried installing the drivers again and got this error.
    "the realtech controller was not found. If in deep sleep mode unplug the cable." It is not in sleep mode.
    So I am starting to think what you said, the LAN part of the MB has died.. Oh well, time to update the MB then..

at least i am on line for now..

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A lot less expensive to use a PCI or USB ethernet adapter.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS M4A785-M (support site)
    It has an integrated Realtek RTL8112L gigabit ethernet device.
    It has a PCI Express x1 slot and 6 USB2 ports, so you have the option of installing an internal ethernet card or an external USB ethernet adapter.
    I've never used an external ethernet adapter, so I can't advise you how well one works, so I'll leave you with TerryNet to answer that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Yeah but this MB is so old, its time to upgrade it so I have USB 3.0 and other options as well. And get rid of the parallel drives, and go straight SATA and maybe grab one of those new drives.. forgot what they are called now, the ones without any moving, spinning platters.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!