1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Adapter HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PanthersNHL7, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PanthersNHL7

PanthersNHL7 Thread Starter

I got my wireless network up and running but then when i tried to connect to the internet from a wireless computer, it gave me trouble, it wouldnt connect to the internet. The guys at linksys tried helping me, and they got as far as makin the adapter connect and everything but for some reason the internet wouldn't function.

I have a Linksys Router model no. wrt54gs ver. 6. The adapter is a netgear WG111. There is no brand confliction as the linksys technicians said that it was fine to have differing brands. Need help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router, the internet, and the internet with symbolic name.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    in addition to terrynets suggestions
    also

start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

--------------------------------
    if you can copy this to the PC it may help - via a CD or USB memory device

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

4. PanthersNHL7

PanthersNHL7 Thread Starter

I did what you guys instructed me to do and first with Terrynets procedure:

Terrynet: once i typed in ping (the IP address to my router), it continued on eventually saying "request timed out"

etaf: I went to the device manager and looked under network adapters but there was no X or ! next to my Netgear adapter, it was just an icon of a green chip

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

see if this detects the wireless network

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On your router you have encryption disabled, have the Dhcp server enabled, and are not using MAC Address filtering, right?

Are you using the Netgear utility or Windows XP's WZC to manage the wireless, and are you sure the other one is not running?

Using whichever utility do you detect the wireless network? What happens when you try to connect?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice