1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Adapter Installs as Unknown Device

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bhc7447, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhc7447

bhc7447 Thread Starter

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

A friend from work brought his computer to my attention because in the past, I've been able to help a few other coworkers. However, this gentleman is running WIndows XP Media Center edition (2005). His label states that there is an internal card of WM3945abg. This computer is a Gateway (I know, I know) mx6959.

Here's what I've been able to find so far. The network card worked at some point. Whether he messed with the settings and screwed something up or whatever, that has changed. I checked the device manager and found that both the ethernet port and the wireless were installed to unknown devices.

I surfed over to driver support on gateway for his model of computer. I tried to update the drivers with no success. I then uninstalled the original drivers, restarted the computer, and found that windows would try to install the driver on its own, unsuccessfully, every time.

I knew at that point windows had to be finding its own drivers somewhere on the computer and if they weren't working, I needed to stop this behavior. I cleared the temp files, cleared the obvious cabs from previous misintallations, and then manually deleted the drivers related to the network card and restarted. At that point I was able to install the gateway drivers; however, the same behavior occurs, where the network card continues to fall into unknown drivers.

Now, I figured this morning, maybe some of the unknown drivers that aren't network-related need to be installed properly in order for the network card to be functional?

I'm losing ideas and I'd hate to waste a weekend going through needless steps.

I've read up on this issue and it appears that this card does have some issues installing. For the records as well, I have installed using the intel drivers from the intel website and that has not worked either.

Any ideas? I've thought about updating his service pack to three, reinstalling windows, etc, but there's no reason this network card should not be working if it was part of the original installation on the laptop.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a screenshot of what I see in the device manager as well.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice