network adapter problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rubeckf

Ruth
I'm not sure if this is the forum I need, but will post here and see....my neighbor just brought her laptop over and said when she tries to get on AOL it keeps timing out. She has been on the phone with them for an hr or more and they then told her it would cost $100 if they helped her further on the phone. They say it's a problem in her computer. She left it here so I could see what it does. Does anyone have any idea how I can get her on line?? Thanks!!

TerryNet

Terry
Your first step would be to "see what it does." Try to determine whether your neighbor is attempting dial-up or AOL over DSL or Cable. Does it get a dial tone? Does the timeout happen before or after the other end answers? If not dial-up, then what? Using a router. Has this PC ever connected to any kind of network before? If your signature is not describing the laptop, determine the version of the operating system. And if it is a Windows system, what Service Pack?

rubeckf

Ruth
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I was posting in the right forum. She has a Dell laptop with Celeron 2.4GHz processor and 256MB RAM. It has Windows XP home with SP2.She is on dial up and I connected it here. It gets a dial tone but never gets on to AOL. Then I tried connecting it to my DSL line to see if it would do anything. I finally got an error message saying the IDX file is missing and to try and re-install AOL. I thought I would try that this eve. I haven't been home long and haven't worked on it at all today.

rubeckf

Ruth
I have been playing with this computer all eve. I un-installed and re-installed AOL9 with no success. Still getting the same errors. It never connects to the server. The error message I got last night when it said to re-install AOL was that the main.idx database file was damaged. After no luck with that, I tried installing netzero, the free acct. It would dial and go all the way through with the password and then never connect. I checked the modem and it is working and everything they told me to do in the modem properties is ok.
Where to from here???

TerryNet

Terry
"... would dial and go all the way through with the password and then never connect."

From this I infer that the modem is dialing the correct number and the other end answers and transmits text (requesting the password). I can't say for sure, but this indicates to me that the modem is operating as it should.

Beyond that, I have no idea. No wonder AOL support was frustrated!

After you enter a password to netzero, there was no more communication? But the phone line was not dropped, at least not right away? Maybe some malware? You might post a HijackThis log on the security forum.

rubeckf

Ruth
I took it to a friend that owns a computer business today. He used the winsock xp fix. After that he was able to connect through bellsouth dial up, but it never would get on the internet. When he would try to click on IE it would say did we want to work off line. The dial up was only connected t 37.5. The entire computer was very, very slow and hardly would do anything. He finally told me to re-install windows xp on it. I'm going to save her documents & aol files and do that tomorrow eve. Thanks for the reply anyway. It's very baffling to say the least. She told me that it did something funny last year and she had to send it back to Dell for repair, but she didn't know what they did to it. I'll try the re-install next.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online