1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Adapter Problems, Again

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jbrown832, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

I posted about this problem last week and thought it had been sorted but doesn't work again. This is what I've posted on the Lenovo forum, but they don't seem to know anything lol.

I've wiped a IBM T40 "Type 2373 - 6G0" clean and reinstalled Windows XP. When I've come to install all the drivers, they've all worked except the wireless.

I've done this before and never had any problems, but for some reason, this time it won't work this time.

I've installed 2 wireless adapters one being an Intel one that didn't work and the other a Cisco adapter that sort of worked.

Here's pics to explain it a bit better.

This is the error I'm getting...

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wirelesserrorbb6.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=devicemanagerxr8.jpg

I really need help on this, it's not my laptop, so need to get it back to the person asap lol. I need you guys to bail me out lol.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If this is XP SP1 it's sorta a waste of time to trouble shoot. Get it up to at least SP2, and preferably SP3.

Your Device Manager shows that the Cisco adapter is not going to work. Maybe a driver problem?

What was the problem with the Intel adapter? Was it switched on? Latest driver from the IBM/Lenova web site? Using the Intel Proset utility or XP's WZC?

3. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

Its SP3 :) The intel adapter had no affect at all, it wasn't activating the wireless. I was told to get the Cisco adapter from the lenovo forum. I don't know what else to try.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Meaning the wireless switch had no apparent effect? Was it working before the format and reinstall?

5. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

Well thing is I don't actually no where the wireless switch is lol. It just comes on when I installed the Cisco adapter, but didn't come on for the Intel one.

6. Jbrown832

Jbrown832 Thread Starter

Anybody else know what I can do?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For the integrated Intel adapter, find the wireless switch. There is a chance that the only problem here is that the switch is off. Maybe there is a small user manual on the Lenova web site or maybe somebody on a Lenova forum knows what switch(es) IBM uses. Other laptops use a slide switch in the front; a toggle switch above the keyboard; or a key combination such as Fn + F2 (and the F2 or other key will have a tower icon on it).

For the other one download the latest driver from Cisco; use Device Manager to uninstall the current driver (if there is one); install the new driver. Any difference?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice