1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Adapter/ Windows Wireless Service not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by berkeleychick, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. berkeleychick

berkeleychick Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion tx1000z laptop that is not connecting wirelessly. I have tried everything I possibly can to fix it but nothing will wirk.
    I called Hp and ATT (my ISP) and neither of them helped me in resolving this problem. HP said I should clean install my computer but that is my last result.
    The problem: I turned on my computer as ususal and my computer normally connects to my wireless internet router (2wire) automatically. On my task bar the networks icon has two computers and a red x ( no network connected). When i double clicked on that it showed no wireless internet signal from anyone or anything. "windows cannot find any networks". When i diagnose the issue it tells me that Windows Wirelses Service is not running. When I try to start it I get an error saying that there is not network adapter.
    "solutions" i tried:
    i tried to use networking in safe mode ---- same problem
    I made sure my wireless switch was on
    I went to computer management > services and appliactions> WLAN autoconfig> start ------gave me an error message saying 'windows could not start the wlan autocongig service on local computer.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my Broadcomm driver 802.11......
    I brought my comp to my university to see if it was just my router, but it would not establish a connection there either.
    Any help by a professionaly would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. theFakeGeek

theFakeGeek

This could be either a software or a hardware problem. Rather then waste time getting you to try a variety of things let's narrow things down by downloading and running a Ubuntu Live CD.

Burn the CD image to a disc and boot into Ubuntu. When you boot go to the upper right corner to where you can see a wireless icon. Try to connect to a wireless network. If you cannot then we most likely have a hardware issue.

If however you can connect in Ubuntu then all we have to do is figure out what is wrong with Windows. Once you've verified either a software or a hardware problem please post back here and I offer further advice.

3. berkeleychick

berkeleychick Thread Starter

An Update:

I decided to call costco for technical support because they have an extended warrenty. They have tried all the trouble shooting steps so they required me to do a system recovery becasue the problem was infact with the hardware. There was an error with the system recover and now windows can't boot. So they required me to purchace the HP system recovery CD from them and I am still waiting for it to arrive. They said it should be here by April 21st.
    I will update again once i recieve that cd.

PS. My PC runs very hot. could the damage be due to the heat affecting the netowrk adapter?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There have been many troubles with some HP laptops--the wireless adapter just "disappears." Sometimes it reappears just as mysteriously and sometimes not. Don't know if your laptop is one of the models affected; you might want to check on this with HP. Mention the running hot also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice