1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Adapters not showing up in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kiraamzsy, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

When going through device manager, there is no Network Adapters section. All network cards show up as unknown devices even though I've installed the drivers for them. In Control Panel -> Network Connections, there is no Local Area Connection. I've tried a new network card and that didn't fix anything either.

ipconfig / all gives me:

Windows IP COnfiguration. That's all. Nothing else shows up.

I'm so lost.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

3. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

Yes, this is Windows XP. I have not installed SP3 yet. Yes, currently using Norton. Took a quick look at the article you mentioned and it is interesting but it looks like it's aiming at SP3 being the cause of the problem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If this is a new (re)install of Windows download from your PC manufacturer's web site the latest chipset and networking drivers. Install the chipset first. After installing the networking drivers check Device Manager to see if you need some more drivers.

5. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

It's not a reinstall. I did however install some drivers.

File Description: Motherboard Driver Package
    Version:
    * Ethernet NRM driver version 50.09 (WHQL)
    * Network management tools version 50.09
    * SMBus driver version 4.50 (WHQL)
    * Installer version 4.90
    * Win2K IDE SATARAID driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
    * Win2K IDE SATA_IDE driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
    * Win2K RAIDTOOL application version 6.22
    * WinXP IDE SATARAID driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
    * WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
    * WinXP RAIDTOOL application version 6.22

I'll go look for the chipset.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Motherboard driver Package may be the same as chipset. From where did you get them?

7. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

I got these directly from the manufacturers website. I also had a cd that came with the computer that had the same files.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

9. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

1. There is no Network Adapters section
    2. same as above
    3. Yes. Listed below.

Non-Plug and Play Drivers
    !Serial
    Unknown
    !1394 Net Adapter
    !NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's your answer. You indeed are missing most of the drivers. Start with the proper chipset drivers, then install the network drivers.

11. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

Hmmm. I just contacted the manufacturer and the chipset they said I should use is the one I've tried. It's the motherboard driver package. Or is that still the wrong thing? I've listed it above.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I don't really know what to tell you. On Dell's and HP's website the term "chipset" is used. But to me that package you installed sounds the same. Who is your computer manufacturer and what is the exact model?

I note that two of the "orphan" devices are 1394 Net Adapter and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. In your list of drivers installed by the motherboard package there is Ethernet NRM driver which seems reasonable for NVIDIA nForce. But I see no 1394 installed.

13. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

The manufacturer is Gateway and the model of the computer is a GT5082.

I tried finding some updated versions off a different site and now windows won't even boot up.... UGH. Going into safemode doesn't work either as my mouse & keyboard are both wireless usb and for some reason are not working in safemode after the latest driver install.

I'm going backwards in progress.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Try "Last known good configuration" if you have that option. Otherwise, I hope you have your XP install CD handy. Or a Recovery partition.

Either way you're going to have to get those drivers installed, and maybe a fresh Windows install is the best way to go.

FWIW I agree that you downloaded the correct driver package. Please don't take the next two questions as an insult--I'm grasping for straws. After downloading the package did you then copy it to your hard drive and run it? What kind of messages did it give you?

15. Kiraamzsy

Kiraamzsy Thread Starter

Last known good configuration didn't work :S

If you're referring to the original drivers, yes, I copied them to the computer. It all installed normally without any errors or messages. I restarted after installing the drivers but there was no change.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/761359