1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network allows same file to be opened again

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pbrumberg, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

Our domain network (based off Windows 2k3 Server) is allowing multiple occurances of the same file to be opened at the same time (typically only with AutoCAD files). This is obviously a problem because the work one person does can easily be overwritten by another person working in the same file. Typically I've noticed that if a second occurance of the file is allowed, eventually the first occurance shows a warning and the file is changed to read-only.

The Win 2K3 Server is dynamically assigning our IP address. I have noticed that this seems to occur after a failure of the server to assign IP addresses (which has only occured twice in about a year), and also when the netgear wireless router we're using has one of it's moments and requires a power-cycle to reset it to working status. This morning we actually had a guy that was able to open the same AutoCAD file twice on his PC (he didn't realize he already had it open until after he'd chosen to open it again, at which point he questioned why it did not come up as read-only when he reopened it).

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Where is this file being server from? Is your file server the same as your W2K3 server that does DHCP? Have you checked the opened files portion of the shared folders? Also have you tried deleting and recreating the share its located on? Another htought is what version of Autocad? Is it one with built in shaeing? Maybe this is functionality built into the Cad program(I am not familiar with it to be able to say).

Usually it will only open read only if its in use (at least this is how it is with standard office documents).

3. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

The file server is the same as the W2K3 server that performs the DHCP?

Have you checked the opened files portion of the shared folders?
    I am our in office go to guy concerning IT problems, but I am an engineer first and my networking knowledge is about enough to get me in trouble. Ha-ha. I really do learn the stuff rather quickly, but my outright knowledge is limited. Can you help me out with how to go about checking the opened files portion of the shared folders?

Also have you tried deleting and recreating the share its located on?
    Not sure what you're getting at here? You mean removed the mapped drive from the PCs using the shared file folder or do you mean move everything from that folder on the W2K3 machine to another folder and delete the existing folder which is being shared?

Another thought is what version of Autocad? Is it one with built in sharing? Maybe this is functionality built into the Cad program(I am not familiar with it to be able to say).
    To the best of my knowledge this is not possible. It is possible to work within a "set" of drawings, but each individual file can only be open for editing by one person at any given time.

Usually it will only open read only if its in use (at least this is how it is with standard office documents).
    I guess my question is why the file is not being marked as open (as seems to case to me). Thanks for your response - I really appreciate any help you can give me.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Within the server right click on My Computer and pick magane in there is the system tools/shared folders/Open files it will show all open files and see if its duplicating this for how many people have the 1 file open...

Actually I mean the seond option - Go to the share on the server, write down all permissions for it (so you can recreate it), write down the share name, stop the share, Copy all files off the folder to another drive (I usually copy to a fat32 drive to delete ALL permissions that may be remembered as fat32 does NOT retain permissions/security information), and then delete the folder entirely, recreate folder, copy files back to the folder, recreate permissions and then lastly reshare.

Remember the 2 things you need to keep in mind are permissions and security they go hand in hand and some only use permissions some only use security and some use both.

5. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

OK - so the user who is able to do this right now can open the same AutoCAD file on his PC that he already has open. When he returns to the first version that he opened and tries to save, it gives a message to say that it is already opened and switches that version to read only (he can still save the second version he opened).

The servers shows only one instance of the file being open. Here's the interesting part though: when I first looked at the "sessions" under system tools/shared folders it showed the user who is having problems with two sessions.

I had him get out of all the drawings he was in, then reopen one drawing. Now I only see one session, and when he tries to open the same file again he gets the appropriate "in use - read only" warning. The problem of opening the same file seems to occur when a user has the file open for an extended time and does not use the file (no saves at least). Is it possible that the session is somehow timing out, and because of that the server no longer sees the file as being open? Then when he tries to re-access the file it's under a new session, so he's able to open the same file again?

I will have to do some magic to make disk space to copy our files in order to recreate the share. In the meantime, any thoughts on what I have just mentioned??

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well this is sounding morel ike session and open file not permissions so I would hold offo n that now. I'll have to do some research. what you can do on your end is so if you can narrow down the amount of time it takes before it times out and someone else can open whats already open...

My thought is that session is "unlocking" and then someone else is coming in a nabbing the file making it so the first user is SOL.

7. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

I'll see if I can narrow down how long it takes for the session to time out. You're really bailing me out here - thanks for your time and effort.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After reading what you and the other experts are saying, I just want to chime in with one idea. If it's workable you may save yourself some grief and your users from losing editing.

Is it possible to default the applications with which the users are opening files for edit to automatically save the file every n minutes? This would alert the server that the file is still open and in use, and preserve all but the last n minutes of work.

9. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

Another something to think about. I just was able to do the same thing that the previous user was able to do. I could open a drawing file that I already had opened (but had not saved in a while). Curiousity was killing me so instead of going back to the first drawing immediately to save, I closed the second version of it then went back to save the first version. It allowed me save without giving me an error about another user having the file open.

Better yet, I just went to look at the open files and found that the other two drawing files I have open are not listed on the open files list (but I am only listed once under sessions).

TerryNet - our drawings are set to autosave every 10 minutes, but that is to a separate file in a different location (the way that AutoCAD sets it up so you don't automatically overwrite something that you did not want to with an Autosave).

10. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

TerryNet - one other thing about the Autosave. Autocad is only capable of autosaving the file which is active, so if you have more than one file open within the program it does not autosave unless it is the active drawing.

11. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

This is much easier to troubleshoot when it's occurring on my machine (don't have to keep running back and forth to someone else's PC). Anyway, I just noticed that now all 3 of my files are no longer listed on the open files list. And I also noticed that my session is now only 12 minutes old. Why would my session be ending (or is my session ending because my file is no longer checked out).

Also, it's worth noting that I had another file type open from the file server which was not an AutoCAD file. It was not showing as open either. I closed the file and opened another file (similar extension/type) and it did show as open on the server list. It seems like there is something really wrong with the way the share is handling open files and/or open sessions. If you guys can come up with anything I'd be thrilled.

12. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

StumpedTechy - nothing else came to mind for you regarding this problem by chance?

13. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Maybe try this -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297684

this part seems to kind of fit -
    This behavior occurs because Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows Server 2003 can drop idle connections after a specified time-out period (by default, 15 minutes) to prevent wasting server resources on unused sessions. The connection can be re-established very quickly, if required.

but I am not sure if this pertains to open files (I should think it would)

14. pbrumberg

pbrumberg Thread Starter

Stumped - you're one of them there genuises. This seems to be working. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and try to let you know. I appreciate your help. It was set to the default though, so I just completely turned it off.

15. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Great sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have been working on a number of issues and you had "slipped through". Let me know how it fares always glad to get people working properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice