1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network and cable modems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jaw83, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaw83

jaw83 Thread Starter

I have a small network with just two computers connected with an ethernet 100 hub, and I want to add a cable modem to replace my dial-up but the cable company says their basic package, a 64K/32K package, would be too slow over a hub, but they really wanted to sell me one of their high-end packages, so I want to know if it really would be too slow.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

64/32? Where do you live? Our only cable option is 3mbit/256kbit from Comcast. FWIW, a 64kbit/32kbit connection is just slightly better than a V.90/V.92 modem connection, assuming decent phone lines.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice