1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network and File Sharing Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by philipearle, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philipearle

philipearle Thread Starter

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a wireless router, Netgear WGR614, and three computers networked together. All three computers are running Vista Home Premium. Two are laptops wireless and the other is a desktop wired to router.

Before, the desktop had XP on it, and three USB external drives hooked up to it. Everything was working fine, and one morning I could no longer access the external drives, so I tried everything I could find to fix it, and I ended up doing a system restore, which got it working again. Then it stopped the next day.

I decided to just install Vista, to get them all on the same OS, which should fix everything....I wish.

I have all the computers on the same work-group, all have discovery on, file sharing turned on, none are password protected.

My computers can see each other, I can see the shared folders, but when I try and access the shared files, I get a message that says "Windows cannot access \\Desktop\shared drive". I have set up the sharing where everyone can access or change the contents.

The weird part is that when I connect the laptop wired to the router, everything works. Just doesn't work wirelessly. I have checked the router settings, and did not see any wireless settings that I thought would affect anything.

I have turned the firewall off on all computers, same issue....can see computer and shared files, but cannot access them.

Any help would be appreciated... Philip Earle

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Vista's default network configuration is to inhibit file sharing if the accounts have no passwords. Try creating passwords on the login accounts, then turn off password protected sharing, see if that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice