1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network and Firewalls (ZoneAlarm)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vstringer, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vstringer

vstringer Thread Starter

It was impossible to set up my home network without disabling my Zone Alarm firewall. Any advice on alternative firewalls or how to configure Zone Alarm (I have the regular not the Pro version) so I can still be protected but have a functioning network?!

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

You should be able to go into ZA options and in the trusted section list the ip addresses of the other puters on your network. :)

3. vstringer

vstringer Thread Starter

Many thanks! Works perfectly, and I'm glad I can still use ZoneAlarm.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You can spend money; but, you cannot do better than ZoneAlarm.

5. A Hawk

A Hawk

Your Welcome :)

6. Viji R

Viji R

Hi,
    I have ZA Pro and it used to work fine. With my pages coming thru perfectly fast thru my 384K ADSL line. However, stupid me, started 'fine-tuning' it after discovering that my "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" program was connecting to the INTERNET and having traffic, every time I boot up. Since I suspected it to be some spy-ware on my system - I decided to use ZA to restrict GHProcess completely. Of course that was not liked by programs like Outlook and Internet Explorer. So, then I just allowed it to have access to the Internet, but not act as a server. Other things I did was to block ranges of IP addresses - since I noticed them always 'knocking' at my computer ( although they were blocked by ZA). I also, put on Cookie Protection and a host of other tweaks - in the believe that I was protecting my computer from spy ware.

(Yes, I am long winded)

Anyway, ever since then, slowly but surely, I have found that my page load have become awfully slow. It seems to collect the whole page - and then stops for about 3 seconds and then the whole page appears on the screen in one go. Unlike before when it used to fill up rather quickly.

So, do I just allow Generic Host Process to have free access to the Inernet ? And even if it did, would this fix my problem with the slow page loads.

Now ... How do I get back to the good old days .. when pages loaded a a decent speed ? And if spy-ware got in, what other thing can I do, without sacrificing the page load speed.

Hope someone understood my ramblings - and give me some help. :)

Thanks,

Viji Rajasundram
    vrviji @ time . net . my

7. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

The main use of the "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" is to connect to your DNS server. If it can't connect to it, then this may be why your pages are loading slowly.

I would go into Zone Alarm and allow this program access to the Internet but make sure your check "Allow DNS only". This will improve your security and also allow your web pages to load properly.

8. Viji R

Viji R

Hi,
    I had a look, but there are no options to select SVCHOST.exe to "Allow DNS only". There are two ticks for ACCESS - Internet/Trusted, and two ticks for SERVER Internet/Trusted And one more for SEND MAIL. If I right click on it , it takes me to about 6 other settings,w hich I have selected DEFAULT for. But none of these say DNS Only either.
    What is it I have missed ?
    ----------------------

Viji "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke!" Rajasundram

9. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I don't have Zone Alarm on this computer so I can't say for sure but I believe it is in the area where you select port numbers and protocols.

10. Viji R

Viji R

I tried to do one better - ( since I still could not find any place that said "DNS Only" ) - by uninstalling ZA Pro and then re-installing.

Didn't help much. But now I noticed a new problem - any settings I change do not remail after I reboot ! Now, this is getting strange. Could it be a virus or something that has got to my ZA client program ? Which disallows me from changing the settings. So, now evertime I reboot, it asks me to identify the "New Network" that it is attaching to. And all my previous settings go back the where they were before I changed them. And I have to go do it all again.

I am going to re-post this whole problem under Security as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice