Network and Internet Activity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

idontknowtech

I'm on a computer that is connected wirelessly to our in home router. Can people in my home see my internet activity (like the web pages I visit etc.)? If so, what can I do to stop this.

Make sure you're using WPA encryption between your access-point and your wireless NIC's.

idontknowtech

anyone can sign on to our network. does this mean that someone can view my internet activity? all i want to do is download a program that stops this. any help is appreciated.

O111111O said:
Make sure you're using WPA encryption between your access-point and your wireless NIC's.
I agree, this is a good solution. Leaving your wireless network open in general is a bad idea anyway. You don't want people seeing what you're doing on the internet? How about people being able to see anything you do =p.

Set up WPA or WEP with MAC filtering.

Use WEP or WPA to stop people seeing what you're doing. MAC filtering is only access control, it still leaves it as an open network.

Only reason I mentioned WEP with MAC filtering is because WEP is not as secure as WPA =D. Just a little more added security.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The encryption on the link has no real bearing on whether people can see the sites you're browsing, unless someone is actually monitoring the wireless broadcasts.

Since the wireless switch function is internal to the router, any addressed traffic that goes from a wireless station to the Internet is not visible on the other ports. However, broadcast traffic is output to all locations.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online