1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network and Internet Activity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by idontknowtech, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idontknowtech

idontknowtech Thread Starter

I'm on a computer that is connected wirelessly to our in home router. Can people in my home see my internet activity (like the web pages I visit etc.)? If so, what can I do to stop this.

2. O111111O

O111111O

Make sure you're using WPA encryption between your access-point and your wireless NIC's.

3. idontknowtech

idontknowtech Thread Starter

anyone can sign on to our network. does this mean that someone can view my internet activity? all i want to do is download a program that stops this. any help is appreciated.

4. Crusnik

Crusnik

I agree, this is a good solution. Leaving your wireless network open in general is a bad idea anyway. You don't want people seeing what you're doing on the internet? How about people being able to see anything you do =p.

Set up WPA or WEP with MAC filtering.

5. jackdw

jackdw

Use WEP or WPA to stop people seeing what you're doing. MAC filtering is only access control, it still leaves it as an open network.

6. Crusnik

Crusnik

Only reason I mentioned WEP with MAC filtering is because WEP is not as secure as WPA =D. Just a little more added security.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The encryption on the link has no real bearing on whether people can see the sites you're browsing, unless someone is actually monitoring the wireless broadcasts.

Since the wireless switch function is internal to the router, any addressed traffic that goes from a wireless station to the Internet is not visible on the other ports. However, broadcast traffic is output to all locations.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice