1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network and internet problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by artaco, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artaco

artaco Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
    I searched the forums for a sallution to my prob, and came up short so I decided to post. Here it goes.

I am setting up a new ISP on my network and am not having much luck. The person before me had a DSL connection pluged directly into the switch and a server with 2 nics. Both the nics were pluged into the switch????? He was also running the server as a DC with no DHCP. However some clients were set to recieve their IP's automaticaly (I assumed the were coming from the ISP). His IP addressing schem was 192.168.254.XXX.

Now with all that being said.....
    This is a small company with no need for the DC. I have demoted the DC to a stand alone WORKGROUP server. I took the new cable modem, plugged it into on of the NIC cards (NIC1), and set that NIC to obtain IP automaticaly from the ISP. Worked great. The SERVER now has internet. I took the other NIC card (NIC2) and gave it a static IP of 192.168.254.1 (Iwanted to try to keep the 254 network so I would not have to change the static IP's in that already exist in the network) and plugged that into the switch. I tried running DHCP, but I'll get into that later.
    Now when I configure the clients, I gave them a static IP in the 192.168.254.XXX network, with a gateway of the NIC2 192.168.254.1. I used the DNS servers that the ISP provides.

I am not running DNS on the server, and want to runn a few services as posible on the server. It is just a file sharing and internet sharing server. If have to change the 192.168.254 Network I will. I dont even know why he chose that. Usually people use 192.168.1.X .

Anyway. Why wont this work. What am I missing. I can provide as much info as anyone needs if I dont have enough provided.

Thanks in advance
    Any help appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you forgot to say just what your problem is, but I'm assuming that you are not getting internet on the "client" computers. Have you enabled ICS on that computer with the two NICs? Have you configured any firewall on that computer to allow ICS?

3. artaco

artaco Thread Starter

That is correct. I am not getting internet on the clients. On which NIC do I enable ICS?
    I dont have a firewall set up yet. One step at a time.

4. artaco

artaco Thread Starter

Doesnt ICS set the IP of that NIC to 192.168.0.1

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The internet sharing is on NIC1--the one connected to the modem. If you need help setting it, tell us your OS and hope somebody else gives you the answer ('cause I don't know).

Using the Network Setup Wizard in XP will set the NIC2 to 192.168.0.1; I have never heard of somebody using anything different, but don't know that it won't work.

6. artaco

artaco Thread Starter

my OS is windows 2000 server.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I believe that under Advanced tab of the a NIC there is the Internet Connection sharing. (at least on 2003 there is). You will need set this on the NIC that has the modem. There is a drop down box that lists other connections (NICs) You will need to put in the other connection in there and that should share the internet. As for the IP addresses, the NIC with the modem will need to be set to the ISP configuration and the other will be your LAN configuration.

Like I said, that's on the 2003. (I did it in class :)) I would think that the latest SP for 2000 should have ICS on it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice