Network Attached Storage - That works

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Morania

I just got done with a long thread up here about Windows 10 updates jacking up my network. Got all that solved and now I have to deal with re-installing the pain-in-the-arse Western Digital MyCloud device - as if the first go 'round wasn't enough punishment. I'm done. I'm here now to ask y'all about a no-nonsense NAS that doesn't have Samba issues, is found easily on ethernet by all of my family computers, and behaves in a consistent manner. I am willing to do settings and such as it seems that the "easy to install" features of most of the homeowner devices create more problems than they avoid. The tech support threads are full of confused users and robotic technicians at WD.

Ok.

Go.

Gr3iz

Mark
I use two NAS-type setups on my system. I've had a WD MyCloud for several years. I've got an external WD MyBook connected to it to expand the storage. This has worked mostly flawlessly over the years. Every once in a while we lose connection and have to bounce it, but that's about the only maintenance I've had to do to keep it operational.
Second, I've got another WD external MyBook attached to my Asus router which has a Media Server built in. I probably don't need both of them, but they are there, so I use them.
I've got 6 TVs throughout the house with Roku devices attached to each. I can watch or listen to what I want, where I want. Most of the other computers in the house are connected wirelessly through my guest network, so they cannot access my LAN, just the Internet but my PCs can, and do, successfully.

Morania

That MyCloud needs too many parlor tricks to be easily discovered by a home PC. Not gonna bother. The My Book is only USB. I want all ethernet.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Many people use FreeNAS.

I personally use Windows Server 2019 and share out the drives. I have it running as a virtual machine in my vSphere 6.5 cluster.

crjdriver

I also use a WD external connected to my router [via usb] We also have a Synology 4 Bay NAS which is pretty much idiot proof to config.

Morania

Many people use FreeNAS.
That sounds interesting. I had always been interested in a software package to maintain a solid home network. I have a case that handles many hard drives as long as everyone can access my computer, we'll do fine I think. Windows Networking has always been unreliable.

We also have a Synology 4 Bay NAS which is pretty much idiot-proof to config.
The Synology rigs are coming up on my searches. Even though the "homeowner models" (anything with My or I in it) claim to be idiot proof, it doesn't always work that way. I'm going to research these a little more now.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've never had any issues with Windows Server running as my file server. I've had a Linux server running Samba before. Just found it tedious and more work than I wanted. I know it's just a comfort level as Windows is more in my swim lane. I picked up some Linux...enough to be dangerous along the way due to job requirements.

Lots of people are using FreeNAS running on custom built hardware.

Synology is one of the brands I've seen out there for an off the shelf appliance. I've also seen Qnap, Thecus, and Drobo as other NAS appliances.

Morania

Synology won the day. I've been looking at the reviews and they all say the same. I'm pretty savvy on my machines and it sounds like their hardware/software is right up my alley. Not too difficult to configure by myself but not so homeowner-proof that it tries to do things that I can't stop it from doing.

As I said, it is pretty much idiot proof.
Hi crjdriver. I have recently purchased a Synology NAS and as probably an idiot cannot manage to set it up properly with my ISP router blocking several port forwarding etc... Would you mind helping me out as their tech support is useless.

Something like a Plex server on an always ON spare PC is not enough ? I asked mainly because if we want our files found on the network, won't this be an easy method ?

crjdriver

Hi crjdriver. I have recently purchased a Synology NAS and as probably an idiot cannot manage to set it up properly with my ISP router blocking several port forwarding etc... Would you mind helping me out as their tech support is useless.
Please start your own thread in the networking forum. I am going to be OFF for the next few days so I am sure someone will jump in to help you. When I setup my NAS, I do so manually using the web browser and not any setup program.

Please start your own thread in the networking forum. I am going to be OFF for the next few days so I am sure someone will jump in to help you. When I setup my NAS, I do so manually using the web browser and not any setup program.
Yes you are right. I jumped in the middle of your convo.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As already said connecting a Usb stick or drive to a router with a Usb port is a very easy way to share files to all the computers on the LAN.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm not a fan for any security device, especially an edge security one, to have multiple functions. One of which is making it act as a NAS. If that firewall gets compromised, you're exposing all of your data by default.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online