Network Attached Storage - That works

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm not a fan for any security device, especially an edge security one, to have multiple functions. One of which is making it act as a NAS. If that firewall gets compromised, you're exposing all of your data by default.
If the router firewall gets compromised isn't all of the LAN exposed anyway, regardless of whether there is a Usb device plugged into the router or not ?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If the router firewall gets compromised isn't all of the LAN exposed anyway, regardless of whether there is a Usb device plugged into the router or not ?
Not necessarily. The hacker would have to work at hacking another device before getting your data. This is a basic principle in designing a secure network topology. I've done this at work and at home. If a hacker compromises my edge firewall, they'll have to hack through another firewall, then find my fileserver, and then hack through it. It's about layered security. At one point, my network was NSA compliant where I was using different brand firewalls throughout my network. Now I'm using two SonicWall firewalls providing security down to the heart of my network. Although the two firewalls are different generations and running different generations of firmware which may provide a pseudo disparate manufacturer emulation. I am however using a different brand firewall that protects the most sensitive part of my network which is my management network using a Fortinet firewall.

Gr3iz

Mark
I thought we were talking about the average Joe Blow home user who doesn't have the Pentagon's budget? ;-)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sure. The security principle still doesn't change. Having your personal data that close to the Internet where your only security is a device that is directly exposed to the Internet is asking for it. Pulling out the NAS function away from the firewall is the prudent thing to do and doesn't require any additional expertise. Just some additional money to run an independent NAS.

Gr3iz

Mark
If someone wants to listen to my tunes or watch my videos, I guess they are welcome to ... ;-)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That's you. Others keep very sensitive personnal data on a shared device such as a NAS. And we don't have to talk about financial data. There are pictures and such which if lost can't be replaced by any monetary means.

Good security practices should always be followed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online