Network Backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philip kirkham

I have just been checking the threads regarding vista network sharing and the problems with file sharing, my question is very similar to this and regards backup, we have a maxtor one touch 4 500GB hard drive, 3 PC's running vista and until we have everything running smoothly, all of them with administrator accounts.

What I am trying to do is plug the maxtor into one of the PC's and have the others backup the files via the network, I am getting a user name and password box showing up, do I need to create an administrator password etc on each of the PC's before it will let me use the backup to a network feature, or will it still fail to work, the maxtor has all the full sharing rights applied.

Thanking you in advance

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
I think, but am not 100% sure, that with Vista you must have an account with a password before you can do file sharing, even with "Password protected sharing" set to "Off."

philip kirkham

Guessed as much, microsoft never make anything simple, we have the ability to access a folder and the data on one PC from the other two, i.e. add, edit, delete etc.

But it is just getting the vista back up facility to 'network' connect to the maxtor connected to one of the PC's instead of having to move it about.

I suppose the maxtor is designed for single pc use and not multiple, and we need a network share type really, any recommendations?, seen a few 1TB in the £200 (GBP) range, but not so sure that it will work with the settings we have until we lock them down to user accounts.

phil

jbemp

Banned
What version of Vista are yuo running on the PC's? This will effect yuo greatly on what yuo can do with the backup! Also make sure you have an admin account setup on all the pcs with the same password(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT leave that disabled!) Once that is done on the PC that the hard drive is connected to set the security permisions on the drive for the admin to have full access, if it wont let you give the drive permision make a folder in the drive share it and give the folder the permisions.

philip kirkham

As far as I am aware the latest version of professional, I think it has just updated to sp1, to create accounts I have to gain approval of the MD.

But once I have that I will try to create admin accounts on each of the three vista's, but I do not hold out any hope of the maxtor being accessible from the other pc's when doing a weekly backup (the one it is connected to has to backup every day).

phil

jbemp

Banned
What version of Vista? Home Basic, Home Advanced, Buisness, Enterprise, or Ultimate? There is no more porfessional that was an XP term. I am not sure what youmean by MD?

philip kirkham

I apologise, Business (we run win 95, 98, xp and vista - predominately vista as of january),
and as I infered, permission is required from our Managing Director / CEO / Owner.

phil

jbemp

Banned
Ok sounds like your company is bigger then I though at first. Do you have a domain controler? If so this will make this setup MUCH easier!!!

philip kirkham

Sorry not THAT big, there's only 5 of us, and being the only one stupid enough to volunteer to understand the computers, I get lumbered with setting them up etc, as far a can gather we only use a workgroup for the network, as far as I can gather, not a domain - though it could be without me realising it.

Each can be seen by the other, only one is locked to prevent changes from another one of the PC's, one needs making completely shareable, and the main 'server' one (and I use that term very loosly) is completely accessible by all the others (and an xp laptop) to allow the files to be used / changed etc.

All running Mcafee full system etc.
phil

jbemp

Banned
Ok,

Now that I know what the system is like a little better. What is the final goal you are looking for? Vista backup might not be your best solution! I own a computer repair and web design buisness and so I work with small companies all the time! Most of my clients have anything from 1 to 25 pcs so you fit right in! If you are looking to just backup the files on the PC's I have a better solution, since yuo have one PC that all your data is save to already we can use that to its best ability. I write backup scripts all the time and could write one to take the files from yuor PC and put them on the "server" or should I say file storage location!

philip kirkham

Our goal is to backup the accounts pc daily (thats where the maxtor is plugged in), and then all the contract files at least once a week via the network to the same maxtor, at 200GBP the use of a network external hard drive could be the easiest and quickest way of achieving this - providing vista allows us to do so. :eek:

I get the feeling that the need for user accounts with admin previlages will be the next move, providing the MD gives the go ahead, and being the fiscali prudent person he is, will even baulk at that - it's taken us 4 years to get the new pc's, I have been using my PC from home because the software he has, was not up to the job before we got the vista's. :p

He is due back from colarado/nevada - maybe new york on monday so he is going to be jet lagged for the next few days, I might just get him to agree to the extra spend.

Thats if he doesn't crash the car by driving on the wrong side of the road after 3 weeks that is :D

phil

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Why would you need his approval for something that won't cost you money.

philip kirkham

He doesn't like things being done to the PC's unless he knows about it, even though it may not cost him anything, very wary of software being installed without his approval, I don't even get to know the password for the e-mail account, he has to input it in when things with outlook go wrong, he's getting old. :D - he pays the wages and we put up with the inconvience etc. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online