1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network being slow or unreliable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LadyRogue, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyRogue

LadyRogue Thread Starter

My husband and I both have Windows 8 computers hooked up to our router and networked together. However, when I try to go into his computer or vice versa, there are times that it will say I can't get to his computer and to diagnose the problem and then I just have to wait for it to "load" and then a few minutes later I try again and I can get to his computer. How can I stop this from happening? I just want to be able to get to his computer or he to mine without having to wait for it to find the computer.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When the problem happens was either PC recently off the network (e.g., sleeping, hibernating, restarting)? If so, there's little to nothing that can be done. Because of the way the Computer Browser Service (nothing to do with "browsers" such as IE, Firefox, etc.) works, after any network change it can be up to 20 minutes (or longer in certain cases) before all devices on the network are updated with the current names. You can access by IP address instead of by name to get immediate results.

3. LadyRogue

LadyRogue Thread Starter

Okay, how could I access it by IP instead?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are doing some kind of remote connection just use the remote computer's IP address instead of its name.

If doing file sharing, in a Run box type

\\<IP address of remote PC>

and press ENTER or hit OK. Example is \\192.168.2.5 and note that the first two characters really are "back" slashes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice