1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Bridge and AOL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wnapier, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wnapier

wnapier Thread Starter

I have a DSL line, using Actiontec 1524 Gateway for my own and 3 other computers connected by wireless network (the others go directly to the gateway, rather than thru my computer). To best of my knowledge, we were all hooked together on a network for file sharing without a bridge. However, for reasons unknown, my computer ended up being inaccessible to the others and vice versa.

I ran the Windows XP Pro network setup wizard. It created a Network Bridge. Internet Explorer worked ok, or seemed to, but AOL detected an error in the connection. Shutting it down and reopening didn't help. Neither did rebooting. Neither did installing a new copy of AOL. Contacted AOL. We tried a couple of things, including rebuilding the AOL adapter, but that didn't solve it. Techie said it was "internal to the computer."

My computer connects to AOL but cannot access the web from AOL (although it does with Internet Explorer). Similarly, I cannot reach any news link, e.g., in AOL that links outside the site. I cannot access the AOL help screen, and the AOL desktop does not display the graphic I have chosen.

I tried deleting the bridge, but then couldn't connect to anything, so reinstalled it.

Any ideas on what to do?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice