1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network bridge (I just broke trying to understand)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stealer0, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealer0

Stealer0 Thread Starter

Guys, hello there. I know a lot about networks even in terms of exploiting, but this thing just broke my mind because I presumably still missing some basis while practicing for a decade with networks here and there.

My main home network is new 'Google WiFi' connected to PPPoE, set to 192.168.0.1
    I have two laptops connected to its WiFi:
    - MBP bootcamp Windows 10 192.168.0.10
    - Dell M6700 Windows 7 192.168.0.11

I have a spare Asus RT-N10U which I've used previously (configured to 192.168.1.1 ), so I thought to study and flash DD-WRT firmware. My main machine is portless Macbook so I connected RT-N10U with LAN cable to M6700, thinking about a windows word "bridge" which in my imagination connects networks and so I can access 192.168.1.1 from Macbook.

I created network bridge in M6700 with it's Ethernet and Wireless network adapters.
    At first I lost internet connection, because M6700 prioritized Ethernet adapter for internet access, but I changed metrics and fixed.

I don't know why but I can't access 192.168.1.1 IP from MBP (192.168.0.10).
    I would conclude that I did completely dumb thing and that I would need to study articles about ip routing or something, but here's is the thing -- every new device reconnected to Google WiFi with IP settings set to Auto -- gets on Asus DHCP and receiving gateway/dns as 192.168.1.1 and can access Asus web panel, lacking internet access.
    How the heck on earth that works? It's some sort of ARP spoofing with Windows?
    So M6700 just connects to Google WiFi and hook every new clients to his Ethernet subnet on Asus DHCP.

I went ahead and launched VMWare Windows machine on MBP.
    There's an option to create network adapter "Bridged: connected directly to the physical network".
    I created 2 adapters with that setting and they both received 192.168.1.* IPs.
    I had t0 edit 1 adapter to custom IP settings for Google WiFi subnet.
    1st adapter: 192.168.0.0 subnet
    2nd: 192.168.1.0 subnet
    So what do you think? Both adapters works inside VMWare. I have internet via Google WiFi and can manipulate Asus Web Panel via 192.168.1.1.

So the question is -- I'm asking for help to explain how it works. I made it work but you can see that I'm completely broke to understand it.

Moreover, I can't understand how VMWare create duplicate interfaces using Host WiFi connetion (from MBP) which is already assigned with subnet IP 192.168.0.10. I even can't see this interfaces in Google WiFi monitor as new WiFi clients, because Google WiFi treats them as Ethernet users (while they are over host WiFi).
    I'm completely overwhelmed!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Sorry, we don't help hackers here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice