1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network, but no Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sybok47, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sybok47

Sybok47 Thread Starter

I just installed a ZoneAlarm, so it filters by IP address. However, since my IP addresses move from time to time, it is annoying to continually update the tables. So I went into Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties
    and checked: Use the following IP address:
    I then set the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the same as they were before
    I can see the other computers on my network fine, but when I go into Internet Explorer (7), I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
    When I set ti back to Obtain IP address automatically, it works fine.
    I am obviously missing something, but have no clue what it might be.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You must have ZoneAlarm configured wrong. What is setup so it's filtering by IP? You should only exclude your internal network address, not external ones. Set a range in ZoneAlarm based on your current networking address system

If your router hands out IPs in the range 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.200, then set this as a safe range (I don't have the actual software in front of me).

3. Sybok47

Sybok47 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did not think the issue was with ZoneAlarm, so to prove it, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm from one of my computers. That computer can still not access the internet, although it can still access the other comptuers on my network.

Any other thoughts?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But when you had the computer automatically assign an IP address, it work? Is that correct?

If so,
    Can you ping 4.2.2.1
    If so then you are connecting to the Internet

Can you ping www.yahoo.com
    If the first ping worked and the second didn't, you have a DNS issue.
    Might try manually putting in the DNS Server addresses your ISP uses rather than the router.

5. Sybok47

Sybok47 Thread Starter

You are correct, I can automatically connect and everything works fine. I would like to specify an ip address so it doesn't move around (an annoyance while using zonealarm).

I was successful in pinging 4.2.2.1
    I was NOT successful in pinging www.yahoo.com

I then set the DNS server addresses:

And lo and behold, it worked! Thanks so much for your help.

Fred

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that solved the problem and thanks for letting me know.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you hosting a web site that requires you to enter your public IP into ZoneAlarm? To get a static IP, you usually have to pay extra to your Internet Service Provider.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like the problem was solved by simply entering the DNS servers used by the ISP. No mention previously of needing to add the public IP address in Zonealarm for anything.

9. Sybok47

Sybok47 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. Yes, adding the DNS addresses solved the problem. This was not related to zonealarm, as it was happening even when I uninstalled zonealarm. However, the annoyance of floating IP addresses which was annoying when zonealarm was running is what precipitated trying to set up permanent IP addresses, which was where the problem was.

Fred

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice