1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network cabble unplugged x(

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kristi94, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

Well i have a problem that is bugging me for 4 months now
    My internet was working fine for years i plugged it in and it worked like a charm the light was flashing from the socket it was plugged in but one day it just stoped working idk how or why..
    so i decided to take my pc for some basic fix up reinstallation wipe hardisks,reinstall drivers i told the dude there the pc tech to fix my internet adapter so he installed everything from scratch he udpated the drivers for windows and said your internet is plugged in and is working when i was in the shop he said it was downloading updates for windows and im like well ok adapter doesnt seem to be the problem then i payed for the fix up brought the pc home coudlnt wait to start it up and see it working but it wasnt fixed internet was plugged in pc didnt pic up the ethernet adapter from the modem and i was frustrated tryed everything googled everything read topics tryed this and that and idk if maybe the modem settings can block pc's from connecting or block lan im not an expert at it so im searching for some kind of help here's my needed info..if anyone can help thanks a bunch il be jumping off the roof sorry for my english its not my birth language ..

The modem is Adsl2+ router from D-link DSL 524T and i have 2 ethernet cables plugged in 2 comp's one is working normally and all the other doesnt pic up any kind of connection i tryed switching cables and stuff nothing worked.

Pic's: from pc with no internet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only thing i haven't tryed is holding the reset button on the back of the modem if it resets the setting to factory setting idk if i can re-do the settings like they where..

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the adapter - sis you see it working in the shop - take it back and ask to see it connect and work
    any lights on the socket on the PC at all - often a yellow and green light just next to the socket
    if you use the cable plugged into the faulty PC and connect the PC end into another PC - switch modem/router on/off = does the 2nd PC work ok with that cable and that socket on the router ?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Have you tried different ports on the LAN side of the router? Move the cable that is lit up and getting signal to a different port and see if it still functions. If it does then it is either a bad cable on the one that does not work or a bad NIC.

4. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

Etaf yeah i tryed connecting just lan between the working comp and broken one and the light lights up and is detected the lan is it working.. but idk why the modem or the comp dont respond to the cable being pluged in.. the light color is orange ..

5. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

Rockn il try the port thing how do i switch the ports?

6. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

btw thanks for the replys guys :)

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i meant use the cable that is running on the working PC and swap it over to the faulty PC

8. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

Rockn if you mean have i tryed plugging in the lan cable from the working pc to my pc or changing the lan slot in wich i plug in my ethernet i have 2 marvell gigabyt ports that is adapter slots but none of them notice the ethernet and the modem when plugged in ... and the guy from the shop tells me he plugged in his ethernet from his modem and my pc picked up the connection and updated windows and stuff thats why im confused why things dont work when i plugg in my ethernet from the modem -.- makes me think something with the modem settings maybe set wrong or idk the cables are brand new and even if i switch the cable that works in the second comp to the one that doesnt work windows just doesnt react to it like i didnt plugg in anything ahh frustrating..

9. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

even though when i join the 2 pc's with ethernet the lights set off on the socket..

10. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

tryed same thing i plugg it in still says unplugged dont think the cable is the fault :\

11. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

even experimented with bios settings disable,enable LAN boot rom enable disable restart vice versa nothing worked .. idk if i could somehow find the problem then i wouldn't waste money on a new Network adapter or Modem one of them is the fault so atleast i could know wich one to replace i would be really happy to know :\ If the dude from the shop could plug in his network/modem and it worked for downloading updates it makes me think its my modem's fault maybe il try moving my comp to a friends house and plug in his modem to see if it detects his modem then i would know that its the modems settings fault idk what to do its driving me nuts...

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    why do as suggested
    go back to the shop and see it work - if not then you could ask for your momey back - did you see it work ???

if another PC is working on the same port on the modem/router then unlikely to be the modem

13. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

when i look behind my pc i notice the socket where my ethernet is plugged in faintly blinking orange but it's far from how it glow's when it works...

14. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

Too late to bring it back to the shop i will try tommorow il check with my friend i can bring my comp to him and plug in his modem to see if it reacts to it worth a try.. if not then what you said i can ask my money back ofc or have the adapter replaced .. thanks for the reply's guys il send some feedback when im back from friend's house :)

15. kristi94

kristi94 Thread Starter

and il use my ethernet cable to connect his modem with my comp so ill know for shure that its not a cable problem

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice