1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Network Cable Unplugged" and a non-shared printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CT_Girl, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CT_Girl

CT_Girl Thread Starter

Hello! I have searched everywhere to find an answer to this, and although I have encountered posts on various sites re: similar problems, I have seen no one with my exact problem.

I own a Dell Dimension with Windows XP. It is networked with my roommate's computer via a Netgear Cable/DSL Web Safe Router. My internet connection was working just fine until I bought a Canon PIXMA MP780. I connected the printer to my computer via a USB2 cable and kept getting the "Network Cable Unplugged" error. (I double-checked - it wasn't.) So I'd unplug the USB2, the network connection would be fine.... I'd plug it back in, and would get "Network Cable Unplugged" again.

Not wanting to have to choose between having internet access or using my printer (without unplugging and plugging in cables), I tried to fix the network cable unplugged problem. I'd let the computer try to "troubleshoot" my lack of connectivity and kept getting, "Invalid IP Address" messages. I'd bring up my MSN Messenger window and sometimes when that would troubleshoot the disconnection problem, it would tell me that my IE was set to "work offline" and did I want to change that? When I'd hit "Yes", I could then connect via MSN Messenger, but it would never last long. However, through all of this, I could print without a problem.

Now, no matter whether my printer's USB2 cable is plugged into the back of my computer or not, I get "Network Cable Unplugged". It is extremely frustrating. The reason this is different than so many other posts I've seen is that I am not trying to share this printer with my roommate. The printer is just for me.

Does anyone have any ideas? All comments are welcome as I'm about to rip my hair out.

2. DBClark

DBClark

I don't have any answers for you yet, but I'm curious to know how you are connected to the Internet. You mentioned the router, but not your ethernet adapter. Is it also a usb connection?

3. CT_Girl

CT_Girl Thread Starter

Thank you for responding.

I am not wireless yet, so we have a standard internet cable from the router to my computer. I don't know if this is important or not, but this cable is probably much longer than it should be. (When I went to the store to buy it, I erred on the side of too long, and now there is a little coil of extra cable within the length between my computer and the router.) Also, the cable had been damaged (melted on my heater) and my roommate and I cut out the damaged part, very carefully splicing together each wire inside. Although that sounds like it might very well be the culprit, this set-up "post-splicing" has been working flawlessly for months.... until I plugged in the printer's USB2 cable to the back of my computer.

(We spliced rather than replaced because I have the cable nicely tacked to the wall in between our rooms around door jams and along the ceiling etc., and to replace it would be a major pain in the butt. I'll do it if need be however.)

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Plug the printer in, and check Device Manager. It's possible, however unlikely, that your computer is having resources conflicts between your USB ports and your Ethernet port.

5. DBClark

DBClark

I was just looking at Canons website looking for any info that might lead to a solution, or ideas' anyway. Nothing remotely close! :confused:

If your ethernet cable works when the printer is not plugged is, I'll assume that it is in fact working.

When you have the printer plugged to the usb port, and receive the network cable unplugged, look in device manager and look for any exclamation points or red x's. Have you done this? Do you know how to do this?

How old is the computer, and what operating system are you running? Have you uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, looked for newer drivers than what you have.

I know it's a lot of questions, but it starting to sound like a conflict with computer. Perhaps IRQ or driver conflicts.

6. CT_Girl

CT_Girl Thread Starter

I will look at the device manager when I get home tonight. (I'm at work, hence ability to be on the internet.) The only big red "X" I remember seeing is on the LAN Connection icon, but I'll check the device manager.

I bought my computer last May so it is relatively new, and it is running Windows XP - Media Edition I believe. I did not look for new drivers because my system is so new. The problem is, wouldn't I find those new drivers on the internet?

The only other thing I wonder about is that I had the USB2 printer cable plugged into the back of my computer before I was supposed to when I installed the printer. You know how the install directions often say to wait until after the first part of the installation process to plug it in? Well, I wasn't paying attention, so because of that the installation didn't go as smoothly as it would have had I followed directions better. Could that have caused a problem?

I will uninstall tonight and re-install to see if that helps, in addition to looking at the device manager.

Thank you for your responses. All your questions don't bother me at all; not having internet at home is killing me. (Sad but true.)

7. senna

senna

If you are saying your cable is damaged that could be a problem. A damaged cable can cause a lack of performance. Or total loss of data transfer. You may look into a new data cable as well. Any damage is not good for a data cable.

8. DBClark

DBClark

Yes, you can go to the manufacturers website and see if there ia a newer version. Not all, but in a lot of cases, there are updates for devices before you take them out of the box.
    Yes, this could be the problem! In a way, hopefully that is the problem!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If none of the above works, you might try this:

Carry the router close to your computer and connect it with a known good cable (your roommate's, for example). Of course you don't have internet this way, but do you have a connection to the router? If so, plug in the printer's USB. If you lose the router connection, you've got a computer problem. If you still have the router connection, you have a re-splicing (or cable replacement) job ahead of you.

I shudder when I think of that cable melting, but certainly admire your resourcefulness in splicing! :)

10. CT_Girl

CT_Girl Thread Starter

But wouldn't that have been the case before I plugged in my printer? Although I completely agree that it's not good to have a damaged cable, my system had been working fine for months.

The problem is, I have no internet access from home.

I hope so, too!

I will try this, too. Thank you everyone! I'll try these suggestions as soon as I can. I really appreciate all of your input. My knowledge with this type of thing is limited.

11. CT_Girl

CT_Girl Thread Starter

With the printer plugged in, I checked the Device Manager and nothing seemed to be out of place (no exclamation points or red X's). I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers, etc (this time I did it the right way). I rebooted a couple of times. Still my computer will not recognize that the internet cable is definitely plugged in. The computer's troubleshooter keeps telling me I have an invalid IP address. I went to Start then Run and entered "ipconfig" as someone at my work suggested and all that told me is that I am disconnected. I knew that.

Next step I guess I to check the connection with a known good cable as TerryNet suggested. Hopefully some day I'll have internet at home again.

12. DBClark

DBClark

If you try another cable and it still fails....try uninstalling your network card in the device manager by righ-clicking and choosing uninstal. DO THIS ONLY WHEN YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE DRIVERS FOR IT. Just in case XP doesn't have them!

13. CT_Girl

CT_Girl Thread Starter

Something very bizarre happened the day before yesterday (Wednesday) and this is the first chance I've had to write about it.

After I did all the things on Wednesday morning that I said I'd done in my last post, I came here to work. When I got home, there was no longer a red "X" on my connection icon on the toolbar and there was a yellow dialog box coming out of that icon saying, "You are now connected." I have no idea if what I did resulted in that, and if so why I didn't get that message soon after I did what I did!

Connectivity since then has still been a battle, but not because of "Network Cable Unplugged". The computer finally recognized that the cable is there. Now I get a "The DNS Server can not resolve IP addresses." I tried to do a Run > ipconfig, but the black dos window would only appear for a flash and then disappear. So I looked around in Windows help for an answer, and didn't get much help. Finally I double-clicked on the network icon on the toolbar (the two computers) and under LAN went into Support and where there is the message, "Windows did not detect problems with this connection. If you cannot connect, click Repair" and I clicked repair. I guess it did the releasing and renewing of the IP address that I was unable to do from the Run > dos prompt. (I don't know why that wouldn't work.) Anyway, I'm back online again at home (thank God) though I still have no idea what is happening with my computer really.

My question is why would this happen (not being able to resolve IP addresses) if I have checked off the two boxes to automatically detect IP and DNS settings? Afterall, that's why I have those checked off. I don't understand this stuff well enough to do these things manually.

14. DBClark

DBClark

Wonders never cease! :D

When you click start->run-> type cmd and enter. This should keep your dos window open.

Perhaps the right configuration and some re-boots...the computer got smart again! :)

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Doing a 'repair' is often easier than going into a Command window and doing the ipconfig /release and /renew. If you go into Network Connections and right click on the connection you find 'repair' as one of the options. Also by selecting the connection, the details in the bottom of the left pane show whether you have a good IP address, and where it came from.

The inconsistent results you are now getting may be strange gliltches in the computer, but my money is on the cable. It's not perfect and sometimes all information is flowing through it, sometime not enough to even make a connection at all, and sometimes in between those extremes. When you get a good connection, then don't touch the cable, don't let it experience any wind or vibrations, and don't let the temperature or humidity change! :-(
    Good luck with it!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice