1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Network Cable Unplugged" message on XP SP2c & DUAL LAN

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mari0-Br0s, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mari0-Br0s

Mari0-Br0s Thread Starter

Hey guys,

First of all, I would like to say that I am an IT tech, so there's no need to explain everything in details. I'm posting here, because I'm having trouble with some hardware compatibility that happens only with Windows XP Service Pack 2c , and not SP2.

I might as well post this in the Hardware subforum.

According to Microsoft, there's nothing that was added to the OS, other than a new range of license keys. But for what I can see, there's definately something different other than that in the OS.

Here are some specs of the systems I am using.

ASUS P5K-E (onboard Marvell Yukon 88e8056)
    Intel PRO/1000 GT (plugged in the third PCI slot)

Ok, let's explain this crazy bug:

Once the Intel PRO/1000 GT drivers are installed, the Marvell Yukon 88e8056 will stop working. It'll say "Network cable unplugged", even if there's a cable connected. The NIC LEDs are still actives, but Windows won't detect the network cable anymore.

It's looks like the Intel drivers are corrupting the Marvell ones.

Here's what I am tried and verified:

- The devices are on different IRQs

- I plugged the Intel PRO/1000 GT in the third and second PCI slots, so that both card would not share the same bus (First PCI slot shares the same bus with the onboard Ethernet controller)

- I've updated both devices to their lastest drivers.

- I've uninstalled-reinstalled both devices drivers.

- I've tested my network cables, and they're all top shape!

- I've tested all my switches, in different ports, they're all top notch!

- I've installed an older Windows XP SP2 (without "c") version, and no conflict occurs, everything works fine. So all hardware is not defective.

Even when I uninstall the Intel drivers, the Marvell will not come to life again. Even if I re-install the Marvell drivers, and the Intel one isn't present, it won't work. The only way to get the onboard adapter working again is to reformat....

I've got 7 systems with the exact identical problems and configurations.

So there's deffinately something changed in the SP2c.

Since it's looks like the Intel drivers are causing this in part, I've submitted a ticked to Intel and awaiting their answer.

I'm also posting this message, so if someone is having the same trouble, or wants this system setup, he will al least be able to find this message by googling aroung.

If anyone have a suggestion, or knows what Microsoft could have changed in their Service Pack, other than the license part, it'll be very helpful.

Contacting Microsoft support was very painful. They couldn't even switch my license for an older SP2 license. So I am stock with this bugging problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Phil

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

this might work:
    Change the Link Speed and Duplex settings to use "100 Mbps Full Duplex" or "10 Mbps Full Duplex" instead of Auto Detect

3. cgesicki

cgesicki

4. Mari0-Br0s

Mari0-Br0s Thread Starter

Oh well, thanks anyways, but I finally formatted and installed a cracked version of XP and the older SP2. I just sticked the SP2c sticker license on the case and that's it.

I have no time for this kind of stupidities.

Thanks anyways.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice