1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Cable Unplugged

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MacAn McVan, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MacAn McVan

MacAn McVan Thread Starter

That's the status showing in Network Connections for the old and the new Ethernet cards in my computer. It's definately plugged in.

I'm just installing for a dsl connection with SBCyahoo. Had trouble this afternoon, called them for tech support and she said seems you've got a bad card, call your manufacturer or get a new card.

So, I got a new card. Same error message. I'm thinking bad cable?

The modem shows green lights for pwr, dsl and enet, so it seems to think it's connected. Is this a windows issue? I'm running XP on a Medion.

Help would be really appreciated

Annette
    The Canadian in Lodi, California

2. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

Even before I read past the first line of your message, "bad cable" entered my mind, too. The title of this thread is exactly the error message I can duplicate by simply unplugging a network cable.

Do you have access to another cable?

3. MacAn McVan

Thanks for responding Anthony

I've got it sorted out now. There were many little things not co-operating (including my brain:) so I can't say exactly what was wrong, nor can I say what worked to fix it.

I've got dsl connection, and so far everything seems to work.

Thanks

A

I did install the new ethernet and it is now working, so cable is fine.

4. Del

Del

You're probably using pppoe for your DSL and anytime your modem is out of sync or you are not connected with the pppoe, you'll get network cable unplugged.

5. e.j.moulder

e.j.moulder

I just installed a wireless network at home for on my Dell laptop running XP to access cable. At first everything worked. Then I starting getting a message that the wireless USB adapter's cable was unplugged. After numerous attempts it started working again only to quit the next day. Finally, I went out and got another adapter and you guessed it. Same message.

Any ideas?

Frustrated!

6. MacAn McVan

Hi E.J.

I understand the frustration. I don't in the end know for sure why mine finally worked. But it does now.

There was something about the order of plugging stuff in and whether things were plugged in before or after powering up my computer.

And a moment of stupidity where it really was unplugged ;)

If you still need assistance after a few more tries, post your request as a new thread, I doubt anyone but me will read your post as it's shown as a reply to my orginal one.

Good luck

A

7. e.j.moulder

e.j.moulder

Hi A,

Yes, I should have posted this as a new one. I just got excited when I saw that others were actually having the same problem and I wasn't losing my mind.

Anyway, right after I posted it magically started working. I did reset the modem but it didn't come on right away.

Thanks for the reply:)

E.J.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice