1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network cable unplugged

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tonydelante, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonydelante

tonydelante Thread Starter

I am running windows XP and have my computer hooked up to a router which connects to the internet for me. The laptop that I'm typing this from works on the router as well as my PS2. I keep getting this same problem on my computer that says network cable unplugged but it is not. This all happened all of a sudden. It also happened to me one other time and I fixed it by completely reinstalling windows. I'm trying to avoid this. I know that it is a problem with windows, because I've tried installing 3 different hetwork cards and have the same problem with each. Can you please give me a suggestion of what I can do.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried a different cable? How about a different port on the router? Finally, have you checked to see if there's a firmware update for your router? I'd eliminate easy to find causes first.

3. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Another thing to try is...

1. Open the Control Panel, click Network Connections.

2. Right-click the Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the General tab, and then click on Configure.

4. Click on the Power Management tab.

5. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, if it is selected.

4. tonydelante

none of these things worked. Any more suggestions.

5. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Did you also check for updated drivers for the network card?

You might try to relocate the network card, if you have a open PCI slot to put it in. If not is there something else you can swap PCI slots with?

6. tonydelante

Thanks for the help. I called tech support for the network card and they told me to just keep playing with the wire and it just started working again. I really don't get it because I have changed wires three times. Anyway it's working now and I'm happy. Merry Christmas.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like either the cable is bad on that end, or the socket on the NIC is bad. I'd be considering fixing that or it'll drive you crazy! :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427610