1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network cable unplugged

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paTrisha, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paTrisha

paTrisha Thread Starter

Im registered to a University internet network in my halls. With my previous laptop, everything got connected automatically in a blink of an eye, without any configuration. but because it wasnt properly protected with an anti-virus software, i had to get a new one!
    i used the same cable ( ethernet cable Cat-5e) to connect to the internet. A bubble at the task bar appeared stating that there was "limited or no connectivity! I left it for a while thinking it needed time to connect but it never did. I restarted the computer and re-plugged the cable but nothing changed!!! for days i had been tryingto find out what was wrong, i tried changing settings when it suddently stated that the network cable was unplugged!!! i checked the cable, reinstalled it ..everything possible..it was perfetly fitted and the device manager stated that it was working fine! So i decided to buy a new one!!! At first it showed connectivity but would always switch back to network cable unplugged!!it kept doing that every second..it was very irritating!!! when suddenly it didnt connect anymore and only got stuck on aquiring a network adresse and constantly switching to netwrok cable unplugged!!! I tried entering the IP adresse manually but they couldnt detect it since my media was APPARANTLEY disconnected. Sometimes entering any random IP adresse and subnet mask would cause it to go back to the connected- network cable unpluggged constant switching again. Even when it was connected it would never receive any packets send( i.e. 100% loss)
    i researched on the internet and found that it was a common problem but their solutions didnt make the slightest difference!!! i used the win fix provided by windows, i have used winsock on run, ipcongig/release,...everything possible!!! Only my computer has this problem!!!:(
    i have contacted the university internet providers but their service is a bit inefficient!!!
    I really dont know what to do anymore, its really fustrating and dissapointing!!!
    i thought i had no network card but i have one its a pcmcia network card!!!maybe that's where the problems lies. I have tried everything possible..now im turning to you!!!

hope you can help me out...i will be forever grateful

paTrisha

2. microwally

microwally

paTrisha, have you informed the network administrator of your new laptop? It may just be that when you originally signed up with your old laptop that they registered the Mac address as a user. It (their servers) sees your new laptop, with a strange mac address and it won't allow it on.

Just an idea.

3. paTrisha

paTrisha Thread Starter

yeh i have changed my mac adresse to the new one..was the first thing i did. lol

4. paTrisha

paTrisha Thread Starter

. when my connection was limited i had a IP adresse but no default gateway!!!i think the problems lies in connecting to the DHPC server and retrieving an IP adresse. mite that be the case???

btw i have restored the system to back when i first purchased the laptop so all settings are back to default.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice