1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Cable Unplugged

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jannymac, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jannymac

jannymac Thread Starter

I cannot access the internet and a message comes up that there is a network cable unplugged, I have double checked everything is plugged in and it seems to be, the telephone line is in working order too, is there anything else it could be? Ive also turned everything off and put it back on again but it still comes up with the same message, any help much appreciated.

2. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

How do you connect to the Internet on this PC? (i.e. DSL, Cable modem, dial-up, wireless router, etc.)
    Do you have multiple NICs in the PC?
    Are you able to do an ipconfig/all through the command prompt (Windows 2000/XP) or winipcfg (Windows 98/ME) and get an IP address for any devices?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Try using a known working network cable and port on the router (if you are using one). If you have one, you might also try using a known network card.

Since the cable shows as unplugged, likely the results of the IPCONFIG are going to show an IP address that is not valid (169.x.x.x).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice