1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ertech, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

Hi, i am hoping that someone has pretty good cable experience and can help me with the problem I'm having. Here is the situation, i have a panel PC connected to a inspection camera (which is network-able) via a cross over cable. The cable is ran from inside a machine panel into a gutter (with a good amount of cables in it) and on the top of the machine and finally into the camera. Now just from the sounds of this i think this is an interference. But the thing is it takes hours for it to drop the connection. Now the questions, How close to other electrical cables can this cable be? are networking cables super sensetive? What is my best bet to protect the cable from this (adding magnetic cores? better cable?). The cable it self is just a plain network cable that i made. What can i do?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I've run network cables in all sorts of places, and I've yet to run across any issues with electrical interference. As long as the cable is physically safe from damage, and the camera doesn't have issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are having interference issues, perhaps you should consider shielded CAT5 cable. If you want to ease the routing of the cable, you may be able to attach the new cable to the old one, and then pull the old one out, pulling the new one in. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice